Nine

Hiccup's POV

We saw two hunters sprinting to the beach as we flew. Growling, Toothless shot at their feet. He still had a burning hatred, never forgetting the effects of a single dragon root arrow on a night fury. Leaping back, the hunters stared up at us with fear frozen in their eyes. As Toothless landed, I could hear the other riders flying next to us.

I frowned at the hunters. Viggo, Johann and Krogan were all defeated. They shouldn't be here - the only leaders knowing about this base were dead.

"Why are you here?" I snarled. Surprised at my tone, the one on the left spoke first.

"The changewing rider attacked us. She said that we could leave, she'd pretend to have killed us. We are very grateful to get away, Viggo was a much better boss." I pulled a poker face as Astrid's eyes widened slightly.

"Who is leading you now?" I demanded, lighting Inferno.

"Only the superiors know, they don't tell us soldiers."

My eye twitched. Of course. "And the changewing rider?"

The other hunter was skinnier. A frown took over his face. "Is she not with you?" he asked innocently. I stilled. I didn't want to give anything away.

"I believe we ask the questions." Astrid patted Stormfly and she barbed her tail. The hunter didn't flinch. Narrowing her eyes, Astrid pressed the back of Stormfly's head lightly. A single accurate spine flew right over the hunter's head, leaving him with an inverse Mohawk. He gasped, running his hand where his hair was.

Tuffnut and Snotlout bursted out laughing. Heather shot them a glare and they stopped, occasionally sharing glances and snickering.

"Snotlout, tie these two up," I ordered, pointing to the hunters. The thinner one growled.

"The changwing rider sai-"

"She's not with us," Astrid interrupted. He frowned, but didn't make any moves to attack or even defend himself as Hookfang picked him up with a single large paw. The other hunter looked much less comfortable, squirming as Hookfang took him too.

Who could the leader be? Freya was next in line, so maybe an older relative filled in? But why would the leader man this base in particular anyway? Was there something important here?

I looked around the island.

Why would Johann use this as his base? It had all the basics: food from the forest, water presumably in the mountains, fishing opportunities and maybe even heating from the small dormant volcano.

Astrid telling off Snotlout disrupted my thoughts.

"No! Those are way too slack and that knot won't hold." She grabbed one end and pulled. The hunters didn't flinch, proving she was right.

"Shut up, Astrid," he mumbled. I smiled slightly as Heather walked up.

"You know, we should probably get going," she mumbled. I nodded, and we mounted up. We had a changewing rider and dragon eye to catch.

"Come on bud!" I yelled. Like a panther, he leapt into the air powerfully. We climbed, before flying into the nearest balcony. It was unguarded. I heard wing beats behind me and knew everyone was keeping up. As soon as we entered the place, we could smell something odd. Toothless shook his head. Giving him a pet, I looked around.

I groaned. It split into three. Sighing, I watched as the riders landed beside me.

"All right everyone, pair up," I called. Instantly Fishlegs and Heather went together. Tuffnut and Snotlout shared a knowing glance, as Astrid directed Stormfly over. At least everyone paired up easily, I thought, watching the pairs go in separate directions.