Twenty eight

Hiccup's POV

Thunderous cheer erupted inside the Great Hall when I announced the success of our mission. Almost instantly, Gobber left to cook his 'special occasion' stew as Dad prepared decorations for a celebration. Even Mildew seemed relieved that the Dragon Hunters were finally defeated.

I glanced around the room with a soft smile. Whilst Ryker had Swiftstrike and the Dragon Eyes, no one could relax. But now, everyone was so much more at ease. Catching my gaze, Astrid grinned, walking towards me.

"You did it," she stated, eyes warm.

I shook my head. "We did it."

"You're so cheesy," Astrid said, gently punching my shoulder.

I felt my face heat up and I tried to force it back. "Yeah, well, what's wrong with that?"

Astrid pulled me into a hug, smirking slightly. "Nothing." Enjoying the embrace, I closed my eyes, wrapping my arms around her. After a moment, we seperated, sitting down at one of the many wooden tables.

My tiredness crept up on me sooner than I would've liked. Leaning on my palm, I slumped against the table. Chuckling slightly, Astrid patted my shoulder blades from her seat beside me. Without the need to say anything, we enjoyed each other's silent company. The quiet didn't last long though: familiar voices were approaching.

"For the last time, Snotlout, I don't care if you've 'mastered' any maneuvers!" Fishlegs cried, exasperated.

"You're just jealous," Tuffnut accused playfully, a teasing smile on his face. Instantly, Ruffnut backed him up.

"Yeah, there's no way you and Meatlug could pull that off."

Groaning, Fishlegs joined us at the table. Why are they like this, he mouthed.

Chuckling, I sat upright. There was no way I'd get any rest now. One by one, the others sat down.

"So, what's the plan with the hyopnowing?" Tuffnut asked, casting an innocent glance in my direction.

"The... the what?"

"Y'know, the changewing that hypnotises people."

Fishlegs hummed slightly. "Well, he's not wrong. The subspecies does need a name."

Tuffnut grinned. "See? Fishlegs agrees. Hypnowing! Hypnowing! Hypnowing!" Ruffnut joined in the chant. Between the two of them, the noise they created easily filled the large hall.

Rolling my eyes, I gave in. "Sure guys. Hypnowing it is."

Cheering, the twins high-fived.

"Anyway," Snotlout cut in over the whooping of the twins, "we have something more important to worry about."

"We do?" Ruffnut asked sarcastically. Snotlout didn't seem to realise.

"Yes! Like what we're going to do with -" he bent close to the table, lowering his voice - "with the Grimborn!"

Sighing, I ran a hand through my hair. Snotlout followed my movements, unamused.

"Well," I began, "since the whole Edge and Viggo situation, she hasn't harmed us. She's been a reliable ally."

"What?!" Snoutlout shrieked, no longer caring for subtlety. "You can't be serious! She is a Grimborn! You know, Dragon Hunter!"

"I do know, Snotlout. But she clearly isn't allied with them. I don't think she has anywhere to go."

"Uh Hiccup," Fishlegs said, looking in the distance, "she's over there." Immediately, the chatter stopped. Snotlout looked ready to punch Fishlegs for drawing her and Gustav's attention to us.