Chapter 14

Chapter Warnings: antagonism, combative behavior, cringeworthy dialogue, deep-rooted confliction, dubious consent, frightening/monstrous imagery, manipulation, obsessive behavior, pouting, sexual coercion, temperamental clown-man, unexpected tenderness

---------------------------------------------------

"Will you be my mate?"

The words were ringing heavily through the air, weighing you down and clouding your mind with so many questions and concerns.

"I'm sorry... what?" you blurted out, baffled. Was this an actual proposition, or proposal, or... whatever the hell he considered a commitment to be?

His blue eyes were shining prominently in the moonlight, crinkling at the edges due to your confused answer making him genuinely grin. He turned over then, gently pushing against you so that you were on your back as he hovered beside you, tracing his fingertips over the smoothness of your chest, enthralled with your skin. "You heard me correctly, pet. Be my mate."

You inhaled too quickly, choking slightly on the air, feeling your heart pounding fiercely against your ribs. When you finally spoke, your mouth was dry and you were fighting to find the right words. "Um... I don't... Penn, what exactly does that mean? What would change between us if I agreed to... to be your mate?"

His tongue darted out from behind his plush lips, wetting them briefly before nipping them softly as he intimately trailed his hand over yours, interlocking your fingers. "It will be a new experience for the both of us," he whispered huskily against your ear.

You gawked at him, annoyance flaring up inside of you as you refused to get swept up in his mysteriously captivating demeanor as you had done so many times before. "So you're telling me that you don't even know what it means. You don't know what you're asking of me?"

His dark chuckle rumbled through him and you could feel it against you, calming you a bit. "We'll be connected on another level," he continued. "You'll no longer be considered a potential food source."

"As in... equals?" you asked, eyebrows raised with intrigue.

His body immediately became visibly rigid as soon as the words left your mouth. "No," he scoffed, his voice laced with disgust. "I have no equals."

"Okay, see, this is why you can't have nice things, Penn," you scorned bluntly. "You're still going to treat me like a lesser being and that's not what relationships should be based on. That's not what commitment is about."

His upper lip curled in disdain at your response. "You are a lesser being," he replied matter-of-factly. "Being my mate will only make you less so."

You rolled your eyes, pushing him back from you. "Good to see you're back to your typical asshole self."

He sat up, his eyes turning into the familiar vehement yellow as his stare seemed to burn through you. "It's not a matter of me treating you as my inferior. We're of a different species. I cannot bond with you in a way that I could if we were the same."

You had to give him credit for finally somewhat explaining it logically and not allowing his temper to get the better of him... yet. Sitting up as well, you brought your knees up, wrapping your arms around your legs, lost in thought for a moment before finally asking, "What exactly are you?"

He hesitated for a moment, refusing to meet your eyes as his golden orbs altered to the vibrant blue you much preferred. Reaching for his hand, you grasped his tightly as you spoke tenderly, "If you really want me to consider being your mate, you have to be honest with me. I have no idea what you are, Pennywise, and if you want me to really take your offer into consideration, I need to know."