Chapter 19

Chapter Warnings: frightening/monstrous imagery, misplaced bravery, cringeworthy dialogue, pick-me-girl elements, public displays of affection, expressed resentment, struggles with morality, unexpected tenderness, nesting, flesh consumption

---------------------------------------------------

How in the absolute fuck could your life have possibly led to this point?

Sara was frozen next to you, shocked at the sight of her brother - your cousin - armed and ready for battle with his group of friends at his side. They didn't look at all frightened but instead had an expression of loathing etched on their faces as they stared daggers at the creature in front of them.

Pennywise morphed again, changing shape several times within a matter of seconds as if he were trying to decide what form fit best for his current predicament. Eventually, he settled on his favorite, the Clown. You found yourself at a loss for words as you took an assertive stance, ready to insert yourself between Pennywise and the kids. However, to your surprise, Pennywise seemed to have an odd sense of composure, which was unexpected considering he just took a pipe to the head by a human that he despised.

"Foolish prey," he sneered, drool spilling down his lips as his eyes narrowed at Richie. "You continuously test my patience. I am curious, why do you beg for death?"

"Fuck you!" Richie shouted in return. "You're never going to kill anyone ever again, Clown! We're going to make sure of that!"

Pennywise's fangs protruded as he threw his head back in a cackle that echoed throughout the front of the house, giving you chills. "You have no power," he scoffed, eyes blazing. "This is the power," he motioned to himself as his voice deepened by at least two octaves and his smile split to an unnatural length across his face, making him appear even more menacing than he already had. "Feel the power, brat, and then speak again of how you've come to kill the Eternal."

"Ch-ch-charge!" Bill bellowed as he ran forward, a pointed metal rod in hand, and aimed at Pennywise. The other kids quickly followed suit, attacking all at once with their make-shift weapons.

You knew you had to prevent this from getting even more out of hand than it already had. Just as soon as you made a move to intercede, Sara grabbed you by the wrist and pulled you towards her. "Stop! You have to listen to me! You need to leave! Now!"

Between the clamor of the kids and the roars of Pennywise, you snapped back at her, "Are you insane?!" Instantly you regretted your phrasing, finding your comment to be more insulting than you had initially meant for it to. You recalled that Pennywise had previously tortured her to the brink of insanity, but to your credit, you weren't exactly thinking clearly at that moment.

Unfazed, Sara continued, "He won't stop until he kills you. He's not redeemable, hun! If you leave, he can't get to you anymore. You need to go and live your life as far away from here as you can." She looked at you with such desperation that you just wanted to embrace her and comfort her at that moment but now was not the time. In your peripheral vision, you could see the kids scrambling, narrowly missing Pennywise's attacks as he seemed to change continuously into different horrifying creatures as he lunged at them.

Though you were still distracted by the intense fight happening right in front of you, you managed to whisper to Sara, "I can't leave you like this." You meant that, sure, but also a part of you didn't want to leave Pennywise either. You were bonded now, and the thought of just leaving him again made your insides ache and your stomach churn.

"We'll be fine, I promise," she gripped your shoulders tightly, forcing you to lock eyes with her. "It's you that he wants. Not us."

Tearing your eyes away from hers, you looked again at the unbelievable scene occurring next to you. Pennywise was now in the form of what appeared to be a mummy, his wrappings coiling themselves around Ben's neck while he chomped his jaw trying to bite him. Luckily, Ben stood his ground, avoiding Pennywise's snapping teeth until Mike cut through the wrappings with a pipe, separating the two.