033 | responsibility

M

responsibility is a value minho has been preached to about since he could talk. a duty of care had been instilled into him, and it was just a matter of time until he found someone to attach it to. sweet jisung, who looked up to minho like a big brother in school, just had to come along. 

he can remember the weight of responsibility that weighed on his shoulders on the night he knows jisung is thinking about. he convinced jisung to sneak out. it was his fault that jisung was even with him, and god does he regret it. 

the itch to finish a mural had caught up to him, and he got jisung tangled up in his own dreams and aspirations. the dimly lit alleyway they'd been stood in was no longer welcoming and in need of work, rather scary and definitely not somewhere two teenagers should be spending their time. the walk back was rushed, but minho knew it was his responsibility to get jisung home. as much as he would've liked to have just had jisung sleep over, he knows the consequences all too well. 

when he hears jisung cry out in panic behind him, his heart drops and his stomach twists, making his vision spin and his throat tighten. nausea overcomes him when he turns around and locks eyes with jisung's own father. 

"what did i tell you about seeing him, jisung?" jisung's father drawls, venomous tone making jisung recoil and swat his hands away. instead, his father places his hand on his shoulder and locks him in place. minho's mouth goes dry when he turns to look at him.

"you know what happens when you disobey me, jisung." his father sighs, voice laced with faux sympathy that softens jisung's expression and makes him look back and forth between him and minho, indecision clear on his face as his fathers nails dig into his skin. 

"please." he chokes, tears pooling in his eyes as his father storms off in the opposite direction of minho, dragging him along with a vice grip around his wrist. jisung stumbles and cries out as he is forced away from his friend. 

"get your hands off him!" minho shouts, gathering what little confidence he has and following them. it's his responsibility to keep jisung safe if his father won't. jisung's father whips his head around with a glint in his eyes. he opens the car door for jisung, who reluctantly climbs in and looks at minho with pleading eyes as his father turns away from him.

the door slams shut in his face.