Chapter 17

"You can't ask her like that, you fool!" I groaned in frustration as I ran a hand through my loose hair. His ideas are going to be the death of me.

I was currently sitting in the cafeteria with Andrew. We had a free period so we decided to stay in school and chat. We were now discussing prom which was less than a week away. Last time we talked about it, Andrew said he was taking the both of us as his dates, but now that I already have my own date, he's stuck with Taylor. I know that whatever is between them is more than just best friends. I can just sense it. For instance, whenever Andrew sees her talking to a guy, I would notice his jaw clenching and his hands turning to fists. The same thing happens if the roles were reversed. Taylor would have such a predatory look in her eyes that made me fear she was going to murder someone, either Andrew or the girl he's talking to. Or maybe even both. Such a relationship was just begging for me to play cupid and fix things, but they needn't know that.

We were planning for a cute promposal and let me tell you, the guy is nuts. All his suggestions involve nothing but the silliest pranks! I'm pretty sure he found this as an excuse to get back at Taylor for all the times she pranked him. At least her ideas were worth a laugh.

"You are no fun!" He pouted, repeating the same phrase he's been using for the last four ideas I refused.

"And you, my friend, are hopeless. Now I know why you're still single."

"You wound me, Jas."

"Keep that up and I'll make the wound physical not just emotional."

"All right, all right! I give up. Enlighten me with your oh-so-lovely ideas then."

I smirked and scooted my chair closer to his, looking from left to right in case anyone decided to show up. Andrew just stared at me like I was crazy, which was probably the case, but I just had to be dramatic before announcing my wonderful plan to win Taylor's "yes" and not her "fist".

***

Andrew skipped the rest of the day to go prepare for his promposal. He didn't really have any important subjects so there was no problem. I just hope he doesn't mess this up. I know he might but one can only hope.

For the first time this year, I was actually looking forward to go to prom. Maybe it was the fact that I found myself a date or maybe because I was setting my best friends up on one. Maybe even because I finally realized that it was the last step for us before leveling up in life. I want this moment to be special and I know it will be because I will be surrounded by the people I could never imagine my life without. It only felt like yesterday when I first met Taylor and Andrew. We were seven years old back then. Nothing has changed though. They're still the same old bickering pair I've always loved.

*Flashback*

I looked up from my drawing and saw a girl and a boy arguing to my right.

"Give me back my pencil!" Little Taylor pouted as she raised her hands up, trying to reach the pencil being held high by a much taller Andrew in front of her.

"You broke mine! I get to take yours!" Andrew replied with an evil grin as he kept the pencil high enough and out of her reach.

"But it's pink! With unicorns! It's for girls!"

"Well, I'll paint it blue!"

Taylor's lip started quivering and I knew she was about to throw a tantrum. I've seen her do it a lot of times before. Most of the time it was because of him.

I slowly got out of my chair and walked towards them. I poked Andrew twice on the back to get his attention. When he looked at me, his expression was one of confusion. I don't blame him, we never talked.