Chapter 1

Spending Sunday relaxing in the countryside has always been a favorite of mine and this Sunday is no different. I've had lunch with my family. Of all the days of the week, this is almost, always, the one sure day of seeing and spending time with my family. I look forward to this day of unwinding.

My family is a small one, mom, dad, and two siblings. I am the baby of three kids. I grew up really close with both parents and siblings. My mom is the disciplinarian of my parents, while my dad is the happy-go-lucky kinda guy. He is one of the sweetest men I know. No other can compare. Well, maybe, just my little nephew. He is the newest addition to the family, and he is a treasure. He has been long anticipated, so his arrival is all that and more.

Smiling as the wind blows my black, curly, shoulder-length hair, I am brought out of my moment of tranquility by the newest addition, my fourteen-month-old nephew, Tyler Jr. My brother comes waltzing in with his son in his arms, straight in my direction. After lunch, he ran off for a bit. Now, he is back.

He ruffles my hair, "what are you up to?"

I shake my head to regain some level of normalcy from his hand and the wind.

"Nothing much. Letting this food digest and enjoy the peace and serenity of the country life," I say.

I reach for my kicking nephew. He just started walking, and he is too excited about that to be carried anymore. As soon as he is in my arms, he kicks some more to be put down.

"So, how was your week?" I ask.

He scratches his head, "hectic! I've been working nights this past week. The contract that I'm working on currently is at the airport. Way too busy during the day."

Interrupting us, his phone rings, and he leaves the porch as he answers.

He operates heavy machines. He is really good at it, too. I am proud of my brother. He had quit high school at a very young age, but he held it together. He got a job almost immediately and has been working ever since. It is safe to say he is a workaholic. He is now thirty-four years old. He has done well for himself. He lives in the countryside like my parents, unlike Darcy and I.

Darcy is my older sister. She is thirty-two, the middle child. She is the worrier of the family.

As if on a whim, Darcy comes on the porch.

"Whew, I can finally enjoy nature, like you."

She was doing the dishes after dinner. Darcy and I alternate with the dishes each weekend after lunch so that it isn't just left for our mom to do.

She pinches our nephew's little cheek without even looking my way, " some help would have been nice."

"Oh, the same way you helped me last week, and the week before that when I did the dishes for you?" I ask.

She laughs as she sits down, "yes, I know, Em. Just pulling your leg."

I roll my eyes, and we both giggle. She taps her fingers on the arm of her chair. I know this will be interrogation time.

"Don't even pry," I say, even before she can say anything.

As if my luck decides to completely run out, here comes mom and dad. Oh, boy! This isn't so good. They always want to know the latest in my love life. I exhale loudly as my mom and dad take a seat together on my right, while my sister is across from me.

Mom interjects, "what shouldn't Darcy pry into?"

I smile weakly, knowing they, too, will continue right where Darcy wanted to start.

"Oh, nothing, mom. How did the appointment go on Friday? I know you said you would have the results of your blood test."

"Oh, that went fine, Em. So far, so good. At least the diabetes isn't yet claiming my organs."

"I love the sound of that, mom. Let's try our hardest to keep it that way."

It seems like my dad was walking and sleeping as he made his way to the porch. He is already dozing.

Darcy turns from playing with our nephew and says, "so, Em, how's the dating world? How's the love life? If there is any. Is there any Mr. Right, yet?"

"It's Mrs. Right, Darcy, but there is nothing to report on. I'm just busy with work."

They all know and accept that I am a lesbian.

My mom takes this moment to add her take.

"Em, try not to just throw all your focus on work. A young, beautiful woman like you should already be settled. You are thirty years old. Time won't wait for you-"

I quickly speak up, for I know this will be lengthy.

"Mom, mom, I know, I know. I have heard you on all the Sundays that you chose to remind me. It will happen. I want to let it happen. I don't believe in going out looking for love. It will come knocking right at my door when the time is right."

My brother returns. I'm so happy he did. He picks up his son and kisses his cheek, "tell Grandma, Grandpa, and your aunts, bye, Tyler."

Tyler excitedly waves his little chubby arm at us. He is always excited about the prospect of going anywhere. As long as you say "go," this little fella is ready. My brother, Tyler Sr., turns to our mom, thanking her for the wonderful lunch, and says that he has to be on his way. He needs to go take care of something, and he also needs to go to his wife's family. His wife had to stop off at her mom's place while they were on their way here. Her mom has been feeling a little under the weather. He will go there, and then go take care of whatever it is he said he needs to do. He bends over and kisses my mom's cheek and encourages Tyler Jr. to do the same.

I think this is as good a time as any to take my leave. I know that my parents can't function without their afternoon naps. I get up, hug my mom, and kiss her goodbye. I lean over and kiss my dozing dad on his forehead.

"Tell him I love him when he wakes."

We all giggle.

I turn to Darcy about to say goodbye when she stands, too. Apparently, she is taking her leave.

"I have some unfinished work that I must get done before tomorrow morning, mom, so I will leave now as well."

"I thought I was the one swamped with work," I say jokingly.

My mom answers, "the difference is that you are the only one swamped, AND single. You are all hard workers, but your sister and your brother already have a companion. You need to find yours."

I grab Darcy's hand and say over my shoulder, "I love you mom," yanking on Darcy's hand to leave before I have The Talk for the second time this one afternoon.

"I love you, too, girls. Enjoy the rest of your Sunday and your upcoming week. Also, remember next week your dad and I have a party to attend, so we won't be at home."

"Yes, mom," we say in unison as we walk out to our respective vehicles.

I hug Darcy real tight as we say our goodbyes.

"Remember lunch on Wednesday, Emma."

"Of course, looking forward to it."

I hop in my car and drive off. My Sunday is complete. As long as I get time away from the city, away from work and all its drama, I am renewed for another work week.