Chapter 3

It's early Monday morning, and I am up, ready for my morning jog. Damn! I can't believe I never once woke up during the night. I must have been really tired after cleaning the house yesterday.

I head to the closet for appropriate clothes. In just about three minutes, I am ready. A white tank top, black bottoms, and my black running shoes.

I greet Missy on my way towards the door. I jog for two blocks, and then I am off on a hiking trail. I do love this trail. It is so relaxing. It reminds me of being at my parents' place. I do approximately one mile through the trail, before I turn back and head home.

I call out for Missy as soon as I enter the door to give her food and water.

I make my way to my room and strip out of my clothes. I return to the kitchen with my phone in hand, dressed in just my highlighter pink sports bra and black panties.

As I am walking towards the fridge to get an egg, I am also checking my phone. One SMS. Of course, Gwen.

Morning, beautiful. I need to see you.

I smile as I make my way to the bar in the kitchen and turn on my laptop. Almost instantly, I am getting a video call from Gwen. I answer but move back to the fridge to get the rest of the things I need for breakfast.

As soon as I turn my back, I hear Gwen.

"Mmm, what I would do with all that right about now..."

I am still just in my underwear. I turn around and stick my tongue out at her.

"Good morning to you, too, G. What do you want?"

I hear her sounding almost irritant.

"Jeez! It seems like each time I contact you, I'm wasting your time. Never mind, I'll just go alone."

I spin around so fast, totally not expecting this reaction at all.

"Hey, hey, hey," I run up to the screen, "what's up with you this early in the morning? You know I always have time for you. Quit with all the attitude. Now, tell me. Where are we going?"

She seems to calm down just as quickly and starts grinning. This can only mean one thing. She came off defensive to make me agree with something I won't want to agree with otherwise.

"Well, I have this thing, this date, sorta. I wanted you to go with me- "

I am quick to cut her off.

"Oh! Hell, no! Not third wheeling."

"Hear me out, will you? Here's the thing... I don't like this guy, but I lost a bet to him. He's been after me for a minute now, can't bail. I have this co-worker I can ask to accompany you to make it seem like a double date. I just don't want it to seem intimate. I don't want him getting any ideas. Do this for me, please?"

I groan, "Ugh, G, you always put me in some of the worst situations. I don't feel like doing all that."

She pouts her lips at me and puts on her puppy-dog face.

"Please, please, Em?"

I roll my eyes at her, "you're lucky I love you, or I wouldn't even be listening to all this nonsense."

A wide smile spreads across her face.

"Thank you, Emma. I owe you one."

I can't help but smile back at her.

"Fine, now let me get my breakfast and get to work."

"You can just go do what you do and leave the video on... I love looking at what I see," she says with a wink.

I end the call shaking my head.

I prepare and have breakfast.

I move like lightning to get through my daily morning routine. I shower, brush my teeth, and apply minimal makeup. I'm wearing a red, turtle neck, fitting top, tucked into a brown pencil skirt. I added some red heels.

I snatch my purse and take a glance in the mirror. I whistle. The outfit is looking right.

I grab an apple as I am passing it on my way out the door, my snack.

The traffic isn't too bad. I get to work in perfect timing.

I only have two co-workers that I am ok with. A guy, by the name of Nathan, and a girl, by the name of Lily. I won't say they are just acquaintances, but they aren't friends like Gwen. The rest of the staff is just acquaintances. I am more than happy with it this way. At least, I don't have bad blood with anyone at work. I try to have a peaceful atmosphere everywhere I go.

As I sit down at my desk, Nathan is the first to come in.

"Hi, beautiful, how was your weekend?"
I smile. He is quite the charmer and a very cool guy.

"Hey there, handsome. It was great. No complaints here. What about you? What did you do?"

He sits at my desk and bites into my apple. There goes my snack.

"Well, got stood up. First time in history. The ladies never just leave me hanging."

Lily walks in, "that might be the one, Nathan. She is different, shaking your norm already. I think you should pursue her."

Lily hugs me from behind, "Hi, Em."

She is such a warm presence. We never really get to hang out, but sometimes, the way Lily behaves confuses me. She seems interested in more than just friendship at times.

I get up, turn around, and hug her back. She is quite the looker, too. A beautiful woman.

"Good morning, Lily," I say, and turn back to Nathan, "and she is right. Sometimes, the ones that are different are the best ones. I agree you should reach out again."

He's munching on my apple like it was always his.

"Hmm, never quite thought of it that way. Maybe you're right. We'll see how it goes."

The boss approaches my door and sticks her head in.

"Good morning, everyone," she gains eye contact with me, "Ms. Hunter, I will need those reports first thing this morning on my desk."

Looking at the files on my desk, I say, "I will get to it right away, Mrs. Canton."

She walks away, and I spank Nathan's leg.

"Off my desk, you. Unlike you, I have work to do."

He leans in and kisses my cheek.

"See you later, sweetness," he says as he walks out the door.

I turn to Lily, and she, too, is about to leave. Surprisingly, she kisses my cheek, too, and smiles shyly at me.

"See you at lunch, Emma."

I don't respond. I am caught a little off guard. I shrug my shoulders and walk to close my office door when I notice Mrs. Canton's door is still open, and she is looking directly at me. Did she see that? I guess not.

The rest of my day passes in a breeze. I have been busy almost the entire day. I have been working on the reports Mrs. Canton wanted. The only time I take a break is for lunch. I spend it with Nathan and Lily, as it is almost every day. Lily seems to have gone back to her normal self. I'm not sure if I should talk with her or not.

By the end of the day, I am only too happy to retire home... which is when I remember my promise to Gwen.