Chapter 8

Friday comes so quickly. I am happy that I have gotten a chance to get Gwen to agree to go with me. She is a hairstylist, and she works by appointment, so she was able to schedule around Friday.

Early Thursday morning, as I was having breakfast with her on a video call, I asked her to accompany me. Truly, this girl will do anything for me. I would do the same for her. I love our friendship.

Friday starts great. The sky is clear. It is sunny and windy out. I have gotten my morning jog and breakfast. I am feeling great.

I drop my towel from around my wet body, fresh from the shower. I decide on just a summer dress and a straw hat. I add some flip-flops and let my curly hair open. The summer dress is easy because I have my swimsuit on underneath. I won't have to go to a changing room when we are finally there.

Gwen is right on time. She is looking nice. It seems great minds think alike. She, too, is wearing a summer dress. Orange and brown, while I have on yellow and black. I grab my sunshades, and we are off.

Everyone from work attending this retreat has to be at the Bayside Dock by 8 a.m. Of course, because it isn't for work, everyone is right on time.

As I am making all the last-minute adjustments, I hear a voice behind me.

"Did you do a head count, Ms. Hunter?"

I know that voice. I am already answering before I fully turn in her direction.

"Yes, I did that al..."

My speech gets cut off for a few seconds when I see her. She is wearing a skin-fitting, yellow tank top and low-cut denim shorts. I can see the string of her bikini caught between the end of her tank top and the waistband of her shorts. She opted for flip-flops as well. It sounds normal, so casual, but on her, it is anything but. This woman looks like she could be gracing the cover of a magazine. Her waistline area looks so narrow compared to her wide hips and broad shoulders. She is well-proportioned. She looks breathtaking with her hair blowing in the wind.

"Yes, I was able to count already. We have a turnout of forty employees and thirty-five guests."

A young boy, about twelve years old, comes up behind Mrs. Canton.

"Excuse me, where should I put this?" he asks about a bag he was holding.

She ruffles his hair and says, "just hold on to it for a few more minutes, and then I'll get it from you."

Is this her son? I wasn't even aware she had a child. As I am finishing up with Mrs. Canton, Gwen comes hugging on me.

"This thing taking too long to move off, Em. I'm dying to get you in your bathing suit."

I am grinning, but I smack her arm.

"Behave, Gwen."

I can see the look of shock on Mrs. Canton's face, but I will not apologize for my friend's actions. I would be apologizing for a lifetime.

Without saying a word to Mrs. Canton, Gwen wanders off again. She is a friendly, outgoing person, and she isn't afraid to meet and mingle.

Everything is finally set, and we are off. We reach the island in record time.

The place is beautiful. It is like a picture came to life. The water is turquoise blue. The sand is purely white. Whoever selected this place, because I didn't, for our retreat really made a marvelous choice. Everyone is oohing and ahhing over the place.

There are some loungers and picnic tables along the beach. Everything we ordered is waiting for us. There is an area for massages. There are abundant refreshments. Everything is well organized for our enjoyment. Soon enough, everyone is in their bathing suits. Most of the men came in their trunks, not bothering with a change of clothes.