☺️

This is everything.

I'm at that recital I mentioned.

It's like a scene in a Becky Albertalli book.

Everything's just so perfectly imperfect.

The satisfaction of hearing someone's name get called and just think

'Hey! I know that person.'

We were running hecka late

And I was ridden with anxiety of course

But now we're here

On arrival I get a handshake from the music instructor

Who is doubling as an MC for this event

And it's crazy cause he asks me where I've been and claims he missed me and it's just awesome

Then we find seats and we just sit there waiting for it to start

And suddenly the little ones climb on stage clad in Taekwando uniforms and it's immediately real

Their kicks are off and some stutter while speaking, but the adults and I still 'aW!' and clap and cheer at all the right and wrong times.

I only properly spy one familiar face, a little boy I helped stuff his swimming googles into his shorts.

Then the big kids come on and it's just a swarm of familiar faces.

I trained with theses kids for weeks and suddenly I'm on the outside, critiquing their every more cause I know it just as well as they do.

They all do good, but one kid who will remain unnamed could be better.

Then it's over and they get their yellow belts.

And I'm so proud.

But it's far from over.

There's still a whole literal song and dance left before this thing ends.

And I'm still seated like I don't belong on that stage.

Then they get changed and the littlies are on once more for a dance number.

I don't know this number one bit, cause the littlies are taught separately.

But they look adorable, clad in identical shorts and 'BEST CAMP EVER' T-shirts.

It's so sweet.

One little girl is restless as she waits for the music to start, jumping around with her hands on her knees.

All of a sudden they're dancing in the best uncoordinated fashion I've ever seen and you'd never think these kids had been practicing for six weeks for this.

They're all out of synch, but it's beautiful that way, cause after all, they're still kids. Some are too slow and others know the routine too well, but in a flash it's over.

And there's. So. Much. Clapping.

And hugging. Kids are running to their parents. It's sweet.

That could have been me.

I could be wearing one of these T-shirts and doing those dances that I actually know.

I could be a performer, but instead I noped out and I'm suddenly an audience member.

Then my crew, the big kids are on.

And it's the literal best.

I can't not remember my hate/love relationship with Hip Hop class