Chapter 5

The previous night, at the medicine cat gathering at the moonpool, Cloudpaw was made a full medicine cat and received her medicine cat name, Cloudheart. Today, Frogleap went to Hawkstar and told her that he believes Applepaw is ready for his warrior assessment. Hawkstar agreed to this, and now it is time for the assessment.

Adderpaw sits in ShadowClan's camp with the other apprentices.

"Do you think he'll pass it?" Smokepaw asks the other apprentices.

"I think he will. Remember, he caught a large snake before!" Ashpaw replies.

"I think so too. He's really good." Adderpaw meows. The apprentices wait patiently in the camp for Applepaw to finish his assessment, hoping he will pass it.

"I'm so nervous for him." Ashpaw then meows. "He really deserves to pass it. I hope he doesn't mess up." She says.

"Yeah, me too." Adderpaw replies.

"I can't wait for the time me and Smokepaw take ours." Duskpaw meows. "We'll definitely pass ours on the first try, right Smokepaw?" She asks her littermate.

"Mhm!" Smokepaw replies.

"I'm better than you though." Duskpaw then full our states.

"Hey! Just because I'm not good at hunting now doesn't mean I won't be then!" Smokepaw replies, giving her littermate a playful shove. Duskpaw purrs with amusement.

"Even Adderpaw is better than you!" Duskpaw teases.

"Adderpaw just has more skill in it." Smokepaw replies.

Adderpaw never really liked Duskpaw. He always had a bad feeling about her ever since they were both still kits in the nursery. The she-cat loves to pick on him for no reason at all. He believes Smokepaw is a lot more friendlier and better to be around than Duskpaw. Duskpaw likes to make whatever it is between him and her a competition, and he does not like that.

Then, Applepaw arrives back in camp. Hawkstar and Frogleap aren't far behind. All of the apprentices get all excited.

"How did you do?" Ashpaw asks Applepaw excitedly.

"I guess we're about to find out." Applepaw replies.

Adderpaw watches as Hawkstar gets up onto the high branch.

"Let all cats old enough to catch their own prey join here beneath the high branch for a meeting!" Hawkstar then calls out. The clan then gathers beneath the high branch.

"Today, young Applepaw has passed his warrior assessment." Hawkstar announces. "He will now become a warrior of ShadowClan." She meows. "Applepaw, please come forward." She says. Then, Applepaw does what he is told.

"I, Hawkstar, leader of ShadowClan, call upon my warrior ancestors to look down on this apprentice. He has trained hard to understand the ways of your noble code, and I commend him to you as a warrior in his turn." Hawkstar meows. She then looks down at Applepaw.

"Applepaw, do you promise to uphold the warrior code and to protect and defend your Clan, even at the cost of your life?" She meows.

"I do." Applepaw then responds.

"Then by the powers of StarClan, I give you your warrior name. Applepaw, from this moment on you will be known as Applebranch. StarClan honors your loyalty and dedication, and we welcome you as a full warrior of ShadowClan." Hawkstar meows.

Hawkstar leaps off of the high branch and rests her muzzle on Applebranch's head and Applebranch licks his leader's shoulder.

The clan begins to cheer out the ginger tom's warrior name. "Applebranch! Applebranch! Applebranch!" They cheer. Applebranch has to sit silent vigil guarding the camp tonight.