Chapter 17

It's been a few days, and Addertooth has finally decided.

I'm going to talk to Hawkstar about Duskstorm. I think it's the right thing to do. No cat like her deserves to be deputy. No one is aware of her cruel nature like I am. I'm so done with her. Addertooth thinks. He then walks over to the leader's den. Once he gets there, he pokes his head in.

"Hawkstar?" Addertooth meows. He watches as Hawkstar turns her head to face him.

"Oh, hello Addertooth." Hawkstar meows, purring a bit at the sight of her secret son. "What brings you here?" She asks him.

"I'd like to speak with you." Addertooth replies.

"Come on in then." Hawkstar meows. Addertooth obeys, walking inside the leader's den.

"What do you want to talk to me about?" Hawkstar then asks once Addertooth sits down.

"I'd like to talk to you about Duskstorm." He tells her.

"What about her?" Hawkstar asks.

"She's no good. You made a mistake by making her deputy. She may seem like a good cat at first, but she has cruel intentions. She is very rude to me and I believe she organized Daisybloom's injury. She is not a good cat for the position of deputy, and definitely not for the position of leader." Addertooth explains. "I'm solely telling you this because I care for our clan. Duskstorm is not a good cat." He meows.

"No. She's a very good cat. She always follows the warrior code, she is super loyal, and she is a great leadership role." Hawkstar replies. "You're just imagining things, or you're just jealous that she's deputy and not you." She meows. "She is the perfect cat for the deputy position and I am not changing that." She says.

Wow, okay. Even Hawkstar doesn't believe me. I'm her kit! Addertooth thinks. Am I really imagining everything? He asks himself in his head.

"Thank you for listening, Hawkstar." Addertooth meows with no emotion and then leaves the leader's den. The tom sighs as he walks across the ShadowClan camp. He then walks towards the nursery and walks inside. He spots Ashcloud with her kits. They have grown recently. Addertooth also spots his mate, Smokefur, who is expecting their kits very soon. She has grown a lot lately, which is making Addertooth even more excited for the arrival of their kits.

"How are you doing?" Addertooth asks Smokefur, looking at her with concern.

"I'm doing great!" Smokefur replies with her usual energy. Even the fact that she's expecting kits isn't stopping her energy. "I am feeling hungry though." She then adds.

"I'll bring you some fresh kill then." Addertooth replies, quickly exiting the nursery. He walks over to the fresh kill pile and grabs a squirrel, which he knows is Smokefur's favorite. Squirrels mean a lot to the both of them regarding their relationship as well. They started to become close friends as apprentices when Smokefur, Smokepaw back then, thought young apprentice Adderpaw was a squirrel and tackled him. Addertooth purrs at the thought of the meaningful memory. He then walks back over to the nursery. Once he gets there, he walks inside.

"I got you a squirrel." Addertooth meows once he walks inside, his voice muffled.

"Thank you, Addertooth!" Smokefur meows, purring a little. Addertooth then drops the squirrel in front of Smokefur.

"You're welcome." Addertooth replies. Smokefur then begins to eat.

"So... I talked to Hawkstar about Duskstorm." Addertooth meows.

"You what?!" Smokefur meows.

"Yeah.." Addertooth replies.

"That's very bold of you, Addertooth." Smokefur comments.

"I know... but I just felt like I had to do it." He replies.

"So, how did it go?" Smokefur then asks Addertooth.

"It didn't go well. Hawkstar seemed mad at me. She said that I was just imagining things or jealous." Addertooth answers.

"Because you are jealous, Addertooth." Ashcloud then meows from the other side of the nursery. She is listening to their conversation.

"Ashcloud! Why is Addertooth jealous of Duskstorm?" Small Marshkit then asks his mother.

"Because Duskstorm is deputy and he isn't." Ashcloud answers her son.

"Ohh okay." Marshkit replies. This makes Addertooth sigh. He wants to make a comment but he decides not to.

"I'm sorry about that, Addertooth." Smokefur replies. "Now I guess we just have to hope that Duskstorm doesn't do bad things." She meows. Addertooth nods.

"I really hope she doesn't." Addertooth meows.

"Of course she wouldn't. Duskstorm is a good cat and she's my best friend." Ashcloud meows. "She may seem rude to you Addertooth, but it's just teasing and a simple rivalry. That's it." She meows, her tone seeming upset. "How did the two of us end up with littermates like you two? You two believe everything you hear." She meows.

"I guess I'll take my leave now." Addertooth meows. He leans down and presses his forehead against Smokefur's. His tail lays on Smokefur's swollen belly. "See you very soon, okay?" He meows.

"Okay." Smokefur replies. Then, Addertooth leaves the nursery. Then, something he wasn't expecting happened.

"Let all cats old enough to catch their own prey join here beneath the high branch for a meeting!" Hawkstar calls out.

Perfect timing. Addertooth thinks as he gathers with the rest of the clan.

"Today, Beetlenose has talked to me about the possibility of his retirement to the elder's den." Hawkstar announces. She looks down at the senior warrior.

"Beetlenose, is it your wish to give up the name of a warrior and go to join the elders?" Hawkstar asks the tom.

"It is." Beetlenose replies.

"Your Clan honors you and all the service you have given to us. I call upon StarClan to give you many moons of rest." Hawkstar meows. Then, Beetlenose walks off and into the elder's den.

I remember our times training with him. He was Smokefur's mentor, and he was always one of the warriors I looked up to. He is very clever and skilled. I respect his decision to retire since he has gotten pretty old, so he hasn't been able to serve the clan like he used to. Addertooth thinks. Honestly, I don't want to live until I'm an elder. I want to die before then. The life of an elder seems boring and useless. All you do is lay there with ticks and fleas. Nothing interesting at all. He thinks.