Chapter 15

"Ashcloud had her kits!" Acornfall announces as he exits the nursery. Addertooth has been waiting outside the nursery for a while. He was very nervous while waiting for the birth, so now he is glad that everything went okay. Acornfall looks over at Addertooth.

"Ashcloud and Applebranch want you to come see them." Acornfall informs Addertooth. Addertooth nods and walks into the nursery. He looks inside and sees Ashcloud laying in her nest with two small bundles of fur near her belly.

"They are beautiful.." Addertooth meows. I am so proud of Ashcloud, but I'm still worried that Applebranch won't be a good father. He thinks. "What are their names?" He then asks his littermate. 

"This ginger she-kit is named Ivykit, and this gray tom kit is named Marshkit." Ashcloud announces. "I've had these two names in mind even before they were born... in memory of them." She says, a bit of sadness can be heard in her voice.

"That's perfect." Addertooth meows, purring a little as he looks at his adoptive niece and nephew. Then, yowls can be heard through the camp. Addertooth looks around in shock as he notices Acornfall rush into the nursery.

"Dogs. They're attacking camp." Acornfall meows with wide eyes. The clan had noticed that there was a group of violent dogs nearby, probably used by twolegs to hunt small animals, but they had no idea that the group would attack the ShadowClan camp.

"Great.." Ashcloud says sarcastically. "My kits were just born and their lives are already threatened." She meows. Addertooth quickly exits the nursery along with Applebranch.

"I'll guard the nursery. You can go help the others if you'd like." Applebranch tells Addertooth. Addertooth nods and dashes off, ready to try to fight off the dogs. They dogs are large, which makes it a major issue for ShadowClan.

Addertooth runs towards a dog and leaps up, landing right on the dog's back. He sinks his claws into the dog's back. The dog then whimpers a little due to the pain.

"Take that!" Addertooth meows, leaping off of the dog's back. The dog lunges for him, but he dodges just in time. He is fighting alongside Pineshade, Icewhisker, Wolfclaw, Luckyspirit, and his mate, Smokefur, against this dog.

"The dogs are headed towards the nursery and the elders' den!" Pineshade yowls once he notices. The deputy notices the fact once the dog gives up on fighting the group of cats and tries to find weaker cats. "Addertooth, come with me. We're going to help defend the nursery. I know how much you care about Ashcloud and her kits, so I think you would be best fit for helping me." He meows.

"Okay." Addertooth replies, and the two cats rush over to the nursery together. Once they get there, Addertooth leaps for one of the dogs. He lands on the dog's head and he bites one of its ears. The dog whimpers a little and tries to shake Addertooth off. It is a success and Addertooth goes flying right off of the dog. He hits the ground with a thud. He groans, but he gets up and keeps on fighting. He leaps again for the dog, and this time on its back. He decides to use the same move from before again. He sinks his claws into the dog's back, but this time he scratches after doing so. The dog whimpers loudly and runs off, now frighting by the warrior's skill.

"Did you see that, Pineshade? I scared off a dog on my own!" Addertooth meows proudly, but there is no response. He turns around to see that Pineshade has been cornered by a dog. He has no way to escape. Addertooth reacts quickly, deciding to use the same move on this dog. He leaps onto the dog's back and sinks his claws into its back. However, the dog does not react. It's like it didn't feel a thing. The dog's eyes are focused on Pineshade. Then, Addertooth watches something he wishes he didn't. The dog then grabs Pineshade into its jaws and bites hard. Pineshade yowls in pain.

"Pineshade!" Addertooth yowls, his eyes filled with terror. Then, the dog shakes Pineshade, keeping Pineshade in its jaws. Then, it flings the deputy away. Addertooth is filled with complete horror.

"Don't mess with ShadowClan ever again!" Addertooth then yells as he leaps for the dog again. He lands on the dog's back. The dog tries to shake him off again but it does not work. He does the same move yet again and scratches. The dog whimpers in pain and flees. Addertooth looks around to notice that it was the last dog still in ShadowClan's camp. The other cats seem like they have just finished fighting off the last dogs left in the camp. Good timing. Then, his gaze focuses on Pineshade.

"Pineshade!" Addertooth cries, rushing over to the clan's deputy. He gently nudges the tom, but there is no response. He looks around at the rest of the clan. All of the cats are very sad.

"Is he the only cat we lost?" Addertooth then asks the rest of the cats. Addertooth is filled with more sadness as a few cats shake their heads.

"We lost Nightbreeze and Juniperleaf too." Duskstorm replies. "And Hawkstar lost a life." She meows.

"Oh no.." Addertooth replies sadly.

Later that night, there were silent vigils for Pineshade, Nightbreeze, and Juniperleaf, who were all killed in the dog attack. Pineshade was Smokefur and Duskstorm's father, so they were very upset. Addertooth is filled from terror from watching his own deputy get killed in front of him. Addertooth stayed strong on the outside for his mate though, since he knew she is going through more pain than he is.

"ShadowClan's new deputy will be announced before moonhigh." Hawkstar announces.

I wonder who it will be? Addertooth thinks. How great would it be if it is me though? It seems unlikely though since I'm a younger and less experienced warrior. Maybe Frogleap, Swiftfang, or Wolfclaw? He thinks. I trust Hawkstar to make the right decision for ShadowClan.