Chapter 20

Addertooth sits beside Smokefur, who is nursing their kits.

"Are you okay? It seems like something is bothering you." Smokefur meows with concern.

"Well.. to be honest.. I'm not okay." Addertooth replies, unable to bring himself to lie to his own mate.

"What's wrong, my love?" Smokefur then asks him.

"Well... Duskstorm is really bothering me." Addertooth meows. He isn't lying, but he isn't saying the whole truth.

"What did I say very many times before? Just ignore her. Maybe then she'll stop." Smokefur meows.

"That's what I've been doing, but she hasn't stopped." Addertooth meows. He dreads for the rest of the day to go on, hoping Duskstorm doesn't fulfill her promise to expose Hawkstar and Acornfall. Then, right as he was thinking about it, it happened.

"ShadowClan! Please listen to what I have to say! I have something very important to share!" Addertooth hears Duskstorm announce to the rest of the clan in the middle of camp.

"I'll be right back." Addertooth meows, then leaves the nursery. He walks out and sits down, listening to Duskstorm and hoping for the best. He notices that the rest of the clan is in camp and is ready to hear what Duskstorm has to say.

"There is something that has been hidden from all of us, but thanks to Addertooth, I figured it out." Duskstorm meows. He gets the chills as she looks right at him coldly. "Maybe you should've been more quiet when sneaking out of camp last night." She meows. Addertooth's heart sinks. The entire clan's eyes are on him. He then looks over at Hawkstar and Acornfall, who seem to be a mixture of shocked, upset, and confused.

"Now what's the secret? Tell us, Duskstorm!" Blacktail meows. The clan then cheers in agreement with Blacktail.

"Okay, okay." Duskstorm responds. "Hawkstar and Acornfall have been mates all of this time, and Addertooth is their kit." She announces. Shocked gasps are heard from the rest of the clan. Addertooth lowers his ears and closes his eyes.

I can't take this. Addertooth thinks.

"Is this true, Hawkstar?" Frogleap asks his leader. Then, all gazes focus on Hawkstar.

Don't tell the truth, Hawkstar. You've lied to your clan times before, you can do it again. Addertooth thinks and hopes.

"It's true. I knew the clan would find out eventually." Hawkstar confirms. Then, the clan gasps again.

"Hawkstar. Don't you think it would be right to remove Acornfall of his medicine cat status for breaking the medicine cat code? Medicine cats aren't allowed to have a mate or kits. You, especially, should've known that." Duskstorm meows, looking at her leader coldly. Hawkstar then shakes her head.

"Love is too powerful to be stopped. I tried and tried to stop myself from loving Acornfall, and he tried and tried to stop himself from loving me, but we couldn't help it." Hawkstar meows. "So, I think it is right for Acornfall to keep his medicine cat position. He is an excellent medicine cat. It is not his fault he broke the medicine cat code. Feelings cannot be stopped." Hawkstar then meows.

Addertooth opens his eyes and watches as Duskstorm's fur stand on her back out of anger.

Oh StarClan. This is going to be a mess. Addertooth thinks.

"Maybe you shouldn't be leader, Hawkstar. You are allowing the breakage of the medicine cat code. Not just the fact that you two couldn't be mates, but also the fact that Acornfall couldn't have kits!" Duskstorm meows loudly.

"I am the leader. My word is the warrior code." Hawkstar meows, trying her best to seem calm and collected. "No matter what you do, you can't get rid of my position as leader." She meows.

"You are a terrible leader, Hawkstar. No leader should allow the breaking of the medicine cat code or the warrior code." Duskstorm meows coldly.

"And what exactly are you going to do about it, Duskstorm?" Hawkstar meows, challenging her angry deputy.

"Is that a challenge, Hawkstar?" Duskstorm meows.

"Yes it is. Let's settle it like this. If you and maybe some other clanmates can successfully convince the clan that I shouldn't be leader, then I will leave ShadowClan." Hawkstar meows.

"And I will leave with her." Acornfall then adds.

"If not, too bad. I will remain as ShadowClan's leader and you will be exiled for trying to overthrow me. Choose wisely." Hawkstar meows.

Hawkstar! Acornfall! What in StarClan are you two doing?! I had no idea these two could be such mousebrains! That's a stupid agreement. Hawkstar should just exile Duskstorm right now! Addertooth thinks. I can't believe I am the kit of these two..

"Challenge accepted." Duskstorm replies, looking at Hawkstar cold in the eyes.

"It will be done before moonhigh." Hawkstar announces.

Addertooth looks at the expressions of his clanmates. They included looks of complete shock and confusion.

This is going to be terrible.. Addertooth thinks.