Chapter 7

"Adderpaw! Ashpaw!" Adderpaw hears two very familiar voices call. He turns around and spots Duskpaw and Smokepaw dashing towards the two of them.

"Flamepelt and Beetlenose talked to Hawkstar! We're going to have our warrior assessments soon!" Smokepaw meows excitedly.

"That's fantastic!" Adderpaw meows. "Good luck, Smokepaw." He says, not bothering to tell Duskpaw good luck due to their rivalry.

"Good luck to the both of you! I know you'll both do great." Ashpaw tells the older two apprentices. "It won't much longer until we have our warrior assessments too, right Adderpaw?" She asks her littermate.

"Right!" Adderpaw meows excitedly.

"You two may take your assessments soon, but I'm not confident that Adderpaw will pass it." Duskpaw meows.

"When I take it, I'll pass!" Adderpaw replies. "The real question is, will you pass yours?" He meows.

"Of course I will." Duskpaw meows. "I'm better than a lot of the warriors already." She says, standing proudly and puffing up her chest fur.

It is now time for the assessment. Smokepaw, Duskpaw, their mentors, and Hawkstar then leave camp. Adderpaw sits and waits impatiently, secretly hoping Duskpaw doesn't pass the assessment.

"How will you feel if Duskpaw passes?" Ashpaw asks Adderpaw. She knows about their strong rivalry and dislike for each other, so she asked.

"I'll be upset, but not surprised. We are rivals, but she's pretty good." Adderpaw admits.

"Will you two still be like this when you're both warriors?" Ashpaw then asks.

"Most likely. Honestly, it all really depends on Duskpaw's behavior." Adderpaw replies. "I say most likely because I don't think she's changing anytime soon." He meows. Ashpaw nods.

"I have no problem with her. She's pretty nice to me. I consider her a friend." Ashpaw meows. "I don't really like Smokepaw, though." She meows. "She doesn't seem very strong, and she's a mouse-brain." Ashpaw admits. "She seems like the type who would just stay in the nursery as a queen all the time instead of doing warrior duties."

"She may not be that good, but she has determination. Determination is what makes you do great things. I just hope she gets lucky during this assessment. Beetlenose says she's ready though, so maybe she has improved." Adderpaw replies. "She's really nice though." He meows.

"I agree with the fact that she's nice. She has a really good heart." Ashpaw replies. "I think her and Marshpaw would've been great friends if they had more time to get to know each other." She admits. "I can just see Smokepaw always being amused by Marshpaw's jokes and always playing along with them.." She meows. Adderpaw purrs from amusement.

"I can see that too." Adderpaw replies. The two apprentices continue to wait patiently. Then, they finally return. Ashpaw and Adderpaw are very happy to see them. Their mentors and Hawkstar are following behind them. Adderpaw then watches as Hawkstar leaps onto the high branch.

"Let all cats old enough to catch their own prey join here beneath the high branch for a meeting!" Hawkstar calls out. The clan then gathers beneath the high branch.

"Today, young Duskpaw and Smokepaw have passed their warrior assessments." Hawkstar announces. Adderpaw feels happy for Smokepaw, but slightly upset about Duskpaw. "They will now become warriors of ShadowClan." Hawkstar meows. "Duskpaw, please come forward." She says. Then, Duskpaw does what she is told, stepping forward.

"I, Hawkstar, leader of ShadowClan, call upon my warrior ancestors to look down on this apprentice. She has trained hard to understand the ways of your noble code, and I commend her to you as a warrior in her turn." Hawkstar meows. She then looks down at Duskpaw.