Chapter 27

"Frogleap, Icewhisker, Flamepelt, Applebranch, Addertooth, Blacktail, And Luckyspirit, come with me to search for Hawktalon." Ashcloud announces to the clan. Addertooth is surprised she chose him because he is Hawktalon's kit, but he is glad he was chosen so he can prevent anything really bad happening to Hawktalon if they find her. All of the cats chosen, including Addertooth, gather around Ashcloud.

"Let's go." Ashcloud meows, beginning to walk. The rest of the cats walk behind her. They then exit ShadowClan's camp, walking in almost complete silence. Then, Blacktail speaks up.

"If Hawktalon refuses to retire and go away, I'll tear her to shreds. She killed my leader, mentor, and best friend. If she gets anywhere near me, she will pay." Blacktail meows angrily, the fur on his back bristling.

"Calm down, Blacktail. Violence isn't necessary." Ashcloud meows. "We're all mad at her for killing Duskstar, but we should not try to badly injure her or even kill her." She tells the young warrior. Blacktail sighs and nods.

"It's an honor to be chosen for this, Ashcloud. I think this is exciting." Luckyspirit then meows.

"I'm glad you feel that way, Luckyspirit." Ashcloud replies, purring a little.

"I have a question. Why was Addertooth chosen for this. He's Hawktalon's kit!" Blacktail meows loudly as if Addertooth wasn't right there with him.

"That's exactly why I chose him." Ashcloud replies. "I know that he will do what's best for her. Even though she killed Duskstar, Addertooth must still love and respect her." She meows as they continued to walk, keeping their eyes open for any sign of Hawktalon.

At least Ashcloud still has some sense in her. Addertooth thinks. Then, the entire patrol had to be stuck with Ashcloud and Applebranch acting all romantic with each other.

"How are you feeling?" Applebranch asks Ashcloud, their pelts touching as they walked side-by-side. "I know this must be stressing you." He meows.

"It is, but I'm fine." Ashcloud replies. "Thank you for checking up on me." She meows sweetly, licking the back of his head.

I wish I had more time with Smokefur. I've been so focused on Duskstar, Hawktalon, and my warrior duties that I haven't really focused on her and the kits. I feel like a terrible mate right now. Addertooth thinks.

Soon, the cats arrived at the small thunderpath, which is the border with RiverClan.

"Let's go back." Ashcloud then meows. They haven't seen a sign of her yet. But, then, Addertooth spots something that catches his eye.

"Wait. I see something." Addertooth then meows, taking a closer look at the thunderpath. Then, he released what it was. He can't believe his eyes.

"It's Hawktalon..." Addertooth meows. There on the thunderpath is Hawktalon's completely dead body. It is covered in blood and it seems to have been hit by a monster multiple times, meaning she had lost all of her lives. There are buzzards surrounding her body.

"Oh no.." Ashcloud meows. "Poor Hawktalon.." She meows. "Do you think... she wanted to die?" She asks Addertooth.

"That's what it seems like... no one would allow themselves to be hit by a monster many times unless they were letting it happen." Addertooth replies, a sad tone in his voice.

"Well, that was anticlimactic. Let's go back to camp." Blacktail then meows.

"Yeah, let's go and report the news to the rest of the clan." Ashcloud meows. "Then, Cloudheart and I will go to the moonpool to get my nine lives. Finally, before moonhigh, I will choose my deputy." She adds. Then, the cats walk back to camp together, not daring to cross the thunderpath to retrieve their former leader's crushed body.