Chapter 29

It has been a few moons since Ashstar became leader of ShadowClan. She has been a really great leader so far, which makes Addertooth feel proud of her.

Addertooth has been using these stress-free moons without Duskstar in his life to spend more time with Smokefur and their kits. He has played with them a lot, which makes Addertooth very happy. He wants to make sure he is an important cat in his kits' lives.

Addertooth looks down at his three kits, a moss ball near his paws. His kits are looking up at him, waiting for him to hit the moss ball with his paw.

"Are you ready?" Addertooth asks.

"Yeah!" The kits say in unison.

"Now... go!" Addertooth meows, hitting the moss ball in the other direction. He watches the kits chase after it, trying to be first to it. Tigerkit gets to the moss ball first, beating his sisters. He then hits it with his paw, and it goes in another direction. The three kit chase after it again but this time, Tigerkit and Sparrowkit got to the ball at the same time.

"I was here first!" Tigerkit meows, trying to hit the moss ball.

"No, I was!" Sparrowkit replies, also trying to hit the moss ball. Then, Moonkit dashes in between the two as they argue over who gets to hit the moss ball and takes the opportunity to hit the moss ball herself.

"Hey! Moonkit!" Sparrowkit and Tigerkit meow in unison. This makes Addertooth and Smokefur purr in amusement. Moonkit purrs in amusement as well.

"Sparrowkit only beat me because she's tiny!" Moonkit meows. "And Tigerkit only beat me because he had a head start!" She meows. "So, I deserved to hit it!"

Addertooth has been enjoying watching his kits' personalities develop as they have been getting older. Tigerkit is a kind-hearted kit, but he is very confident and competitive. He wants to be the best he can be and he believes in his ability to become a strong warrior someday. He kind of reminds Addertooth of himself when he was a kit. Moonkit is also a very kind kit, but she likes to tease and mess with her littermates sometimes. She means no harm though. She just enjoys their reactions. Sparrowkit is very kind as well, but she is very small, shy, and not very smart. Addertooth isn't surprised that he and Smokefur had very kind-hearted kits since they are both kind-hearted themselves. However, today is the day these three beautiful kits become apprentices. Addertooth is excited and he is very proud of his kits. He can't want to see them become strong warriors and maybe have kits of their own if they want to.

They've grown up so fast. Addertooth thinks.

"Let all cats old enough to catch their own prey join here beneath the high branch for a meeting!" Addertooth hears Ashstar call. Addertooth looks over at his kits who are still playing.

"Go inside the nursery with Smokefur. You will walk out when Smokefur tells you to, okay?" Addertooth meows. The three kits obey and dash into the nursery. Smokefur walks in after them. Addertooth walks over and gathers with the rest of his clan.

"Today, three young kits have reached the age of six moons and are ready to become apprentices." Ashstar announces to the clan.

Addertooth watches as the three kits excitedly walk out of the nursery and over to where the clan is gathered. Addertooth can't help but purr. Smokefur follows behind them, sitting down with the kits along with the other cats. Addertooth can't help but feel overwhelmed with pride.

"Tigerkit, you have reached the age of six moons, and it is time for you to be apprenticed. From this day on, until you receive your warrior name, you will be known as Tigerpaw. Your mentor will be Icewhisker. I hope Icewhisker will pass down all she knows on to you." Ashstar says. "Icewhisker, you are finally ready to take on your first apprentice. You have received excellent training and you have shown yourself to be a skilled and loyal warrior. You will be the mentor of Tigerpaw, and I expect you to pass on all you know to him." Ashstar announces.

Tigerpaw walks over to Icewhisker and the two cats touch noses.

The clan cheers. "Tigerpaw! Tigerpaw"

"Moonkit, you have also reached the age of six moons, and it is also time for you to be apprenticed. From this day on, until you receive your warrior name, you will be known as Moonpaw. Your mentor will be Applebranch. I hope Applebranch will pass down all he knows on to you." Ashstar says. "Applebranch, you are ready to take on your first apprentice. You have received excellent training from Frogleap, and you have shown yourself to be a skilled and strong warrior. You will be the mentor of Moonpaw, and I expect you to pass on all you know to her."

Addertooth watches as Moonpaw walks over to Applebranch. They touch noses and the clan cheers. "Moonpaw! Moonpaw!"

"Finally, Sparrowkit, you have also reached the age of six moons, and it is also time for you to be apprenticed. From this day on, until you receive your warrior name, you will be known as Sparrowpaw. Your mentor will be Flamepelt. I hope Flamepelt will pass down all he knows on to you." Ashstar says. "Flamepelt, you are ready to take on another apprentice. You have received excellent training and you have shown yourself to be a loyal and clever warrior. You will be the mentor of Sparrowpaw, and I expect you to pass on all you know to her."

Addertooth watches as Sparrowpaw walks over to Flamepelt. They touch noses and the clan cheers. "Sparrowpaw! Sparrowpaw!"

"The clan meeting is now dismissed." Ashstar then meows, coming down from the high branch. Addertooth watches his kits talk with his mentors, purring out of pride and love for his kits. Then, he spots something that has caught his eye. He watches as Daisybloom and Marshshade groom each other and intertwine their tails.

Are they mates now? They have been very close recently. Addertooth thinks. If so, I'm proud of them. Daisybloom is such a great cat and so is Marshshade. If they decide to have kits, their kits would be amazing warriors, I'm sure of it. Addertooth thinks as he watches the two cats. Then, he looks back over at his kits as they leave camp with their mentors.

My life hasn't been this good since I was a kit. Addertooth thinks.