36. John Shelby: Dancing Alone

John wasn't one for dancing, he didn't have rhythm and was often told it looked like he had two left feet

John wasn't one for dancing, he didn't have rhythm and was often told it looked like he had two left feet. You on the other hand loved it. John would often watch you dancing in the Garrison, sometimes even allowing you to pull him to his feet to dance with you.

Eventually mistakes were made and things were said and soon your relationship was nothing but broken memories and lost kisses.

John didn't pay you any attention once you'd parted ways, he threw himself into bed with whoever the nights company was, it was his way of coping with the emptiness you'd left him with.

You were different, you took things slowly and eventually fell in love with another man. You didn't dare show your face at the Garrison, not now that John and his brothers owned it, so instead you would go to a pub a few towns over to dance with your lover.

John was heading home, he was alone for once. The street was relatively empty apart from you and your new man. John frowned as he watched the pair of you. He remembered the day Arthur told him that you had a "new friend." He shrugged it off and acted like it meant nothing to him but seeing the pair of you now, it hurt him something terrible.

John stood on the corner of the street, watching as your lover gently kissed you. You laughed as he took your hand and began to spin you before the pair of you began to dance in the middle of the street.

John hated dancing. He found it stupid and pointless but he wished more than anything to be dancing with you right now, even if it made him look simple. 

A small voice in Johns head told him to bludgeon the bastard to death. He knew he could do it, he wouldn't even have to spare a second thought but he stopped.

You didn't see John stood watching you, he wasn't on your mind anymore and he had to come to terms with that. John smiled sadly as he watched you smile. "Goodbye." Was all he said before turning around and walking away.

John used to loath the days he was forced to dance with you, hated how you pulled him along to the music but now that you were gone he realised he would be left to dance on his own because he gave up the best dancing partner he had ever met.