38. Michael Gray: Don't Go

Life in the orphanage was cold and cruel

Life in the orphanage was cold and cruel. Your life was void of love and happiness, apart from the time you spent with Henry. He was your only salvation in this dark place. During morning prayer you often remembered to thank god for giving you such an angel.

When you were told of Henry's adoption you felt like you couldn't breath. Usually during this time of day Michael would be out in the garden with the rest of the children but he was sat in the empty bedroom he shared with the other boys.

Michael was throwing a ball against a wall and waiting for it to bounce back to him. "Are you excited?" You asked as you entered the room. Henry shook his head. "Why?" You asked confused, you'd give anything to leave this place.

"I'm scared. What if they're not nice." You laughed. "They want children, they've gotta be nice to take you from here." Henry went quiet. "What's wrong Henry?" You asked sitting beside him.

"I don't want to leave you." He quietly weeped. In all honesty you felt the same way. You wanted to beg him not to go, to stay with you but you knew that was a selfish thought.

"You've got to." You said looking down at your hands. "This isn't a home Michael, your home is out there- with them." And not with you. "I'm going to miss you." He cried louder.

The pair of you wrapped your arms around one another and held each other. It felt like seconds before you were being pulled off of him as Henry was dragged out of the room.

You ran to the window and watched as his new parents embraced him before putting him into a car and driving away. You wanted to run with the car, follow him and start his new life together but you couldn't.

You held your chest as the pain flooded your heart. The car slowly vanishing along with your bright light, Henry. "Don't go! Please don't leave me here!" You sobbed. "I need you." You cried as you collapsed to the floor.

You wondered what the insufferable pain in your chest was, you'd never felt such a thing before. It was your heart breaking into a million pieces as you lost the only person that mattered to you.