Of Pain and Tears

Harry awoke, gasping for breath. His scar was throbbing painfully, but there was nothing he could do about it. Since Voldemort's return, it always hurt. Add to that, his nightmares were becoming more frequent and unsettling, so going back to sleep was out of the question. Not relishing the idea of sitting around waiting for the pain to subside and the sun to rise, he decided to go for a walk. Something about prowling around the school at night really helped him clear his head.

His invisibility cloak and the Marauder's Map were both tucked safely under his bed. As with most things he did, it was impossible for him to extricate them silently. He grunted as he lifted the corner of the mattress and glanced around the room cautiously to see that no one had heard. Neville shifted and rolled over in his sleep but didn't wake. He let out a sigh of relief and finished retrieving them. He really needed to find a better hiding place for these things – somewhere even he could get to quietly.

Map in hand and cloak around his shoulders, he padded silently across the room and out the dorms.

"I solemnly swear that I am up to not good," he whispered, lightly tapping the map with his wand. The ink spidered out across the parchment, slowly taking distinguishable shapes.

Mr. Filch was on the third floor and Mrs. Norris, his trusty devil-spawn of a cat, was on the first floor. His heart fluttered happily as he realized he had a clear shot to the grounds for a midnight stroll under the moonlight. 

As he was about to fold up the map, another name, one leaving the dungeons caught his eye - Draco Malfoy. He worried his bottom lip with he teeth, watching as the name moved hesitantly down the hall. What was Draco doing out of his bed after hours? Certainly nothing good.

Harry glanced back up the stairs leading to the dormitory, wondering if he should wake Ron up and see what he thought, but ultimately, he decided against it with an emphatic shake of his head. His best friend had returned to the dorm rather late, his eyes red and puffy from crying. Ron needed his time and space to get over the sting of disappointment he no doubt felt after their match against Slytherin. Chasing elusive enemies in the middle of the night was the last thing he needed right now. No, he'd have to figure this out on his own.

Harry's eyes narrowed in suspicion as he tracked Malfoy's movement. Standing there was solving nothing; the flames of curiosity were scorching through him. When it became apparent that Malfoy was heading for the Forbidden Forest, he quickly made up his mind, rushing to catch up with the boy to see what he was up to. There was absolutely nothing about this situation that made any sense; Malfoy was terrified of the Forbidden Forest.

Harry's heart was fluttering wildly in his chest as he tore across the courtyard. With eyes straining, he could just make out Malfoy's form at the edge of the forest. Harry quickened his pace to close the distance. If he lost him in the forbidden forest, the map would be of little use.

After several minutes of struggling through thick underbrush in pursuit of the blond, Malfoy came to an abrupt stop just inside a clearing. Harry hunkered down to observe him, making a concerted effort to quiet his breathing.

  <<<<<    >>>>>  

Draco glanced about the clearing nervously. This was the last place on earth that he wanted to be, but his father had summoned him, and he dared not ignore that summons. Disobeying his father had consequences. The sound of snapping branches startled him as Lucius Malfoy entered the clearing, studying his son with a pained expression on his face.

"I'm sorry." Malfoy started, his chest tight with apprehension. "Someone..."

"I know," his father interrupted, lifting his fingers to pinch the bridge of his nose, not giving him a chance to properly explain the sabotage.