It's a Hard Knock Life

Draco was wandering the streets of Diagon Alley, fuming. He was ashamed of himself for having believed that Potter's kindness was more than just an obligatory gesture. It shouldn't have bothered him so much. The fact that it did made things significantly worse. What had he been thinking?

It wasn't long before Professor Snape appeared, eyeing him distastefully.

"Have you finally put an end to that foolishness?" the man inquired.

"How'd you know?" Draco exclaimed, surprised at the man's sudden arrival.

"Word travels fast," he explained, shrugging nonchalantly. "Now, will you be returning with me to Hogwarts or not? My patience with you is wearing thin. I won't be asking again. And just to be clear, you are not well suited for a life on the streets, so choose wisely."

Draco's lips twisted in thought, considering his options. While it was true that he needed to continue his education, did it need to be Hogwarts? Transferring in the middle of the year would be difficult. Difficult, but not impossible.

"Fine," the boy growled after much deliberation. "Too close to the start of a new term to change schools now."

Severus gave him a curt nod, before transporting the two back to Hogwarts.

At least he could go back to sleeping in his own bed. No more getting attacked by a restless Gryffindor.

<<<<<   >>>>>

Harry let out a relieved sigh when he caught sight of Draco crossing over to the Slytherin table. He had spent a good amount of time worried about what had become of the boy. The blond sat by himself with a scowl and started serving himself breakfast.

Ron followed where he was looking and tensed angrily.

"Just forget about it Harry. He's not worth the trouble," he spat.

Harry didn't bother to reply. Ron would never understand. In saving Harry, Draco had lost everything. Another person he had hurt simply by existing. Just thinking about it made him lose his appetite. He poked apathetically at his breakfast.

Noticing the attention he was receiving from the Gryffindor table, Draco shot the trio an angry glare. They hurriedly glanced away, expressions guilty.

<<<<<   >>>>>

Several students were lounging in chairs, studying or gossiping. The entire room quieted as he entered, crossing toward an unoccupied chair in the Slytherin Common Room.

"Seat's taken," Theodore Nott announced as he approached.

Draco curled his lip in displeasure, changing course for a different chair.

"That one too," Nott pointed out.

A few of the girls started giggling. Draco stiffened. He might not be a Malfoy anymore, but he still had his pride as a man. Despite the warning, he sat in the chair.

"Hey fag," Nott snarled. "Didn't you hear what I said? Seat's taken – they're all taken."

Draco ignored him and took out his Potions homework. Nott launched to his feet, closing the distance quickly. Draco was yanked out of his chair by his shirt collar.

On reflex, Draco sneered at the boy. "I suggest that you take your hands off me before you regret it," he warned, flashing his Prefect's badge.

Nott snorted in disbelief, shoving the blond to the ground next to the chair. Before Draco could get back up, Nott pounced, straddling him, pinning his arms to his sides with his legs. Draco struggled to break free.