The Hand Job

Author's Note: I need to sleep...and to stop eating things that I'm allergic to because it makes me feel like shit. *sniffles* I only have three food allergies and they are a doozy – wheat, corn, and pecans. Life is so unfair. All the tasty things that I love are made from shit I'm allergic to. *shakes fist at sky* CAKE!!! WHY CAN'T I QUIT YOU!!!

Pansy settled herself down in the seat across from Draco at lunch, blocking his view of the Gryffindor table. Crabbe and Goyle stood a bit behind her, disgruntled expressions on their faces.

"What do you want?" Draco snarled in irritation.

She studied him, cat-like eyes tracing across his features as her face scrunched up in disapproval.

"I should be asking you the same thing," she replied, her words sounding forced. "What's your silence going to cost us?"

Draco let an easy smile play out on his face, delicately bringing his teacup to his lips to take a sip. When he felt the silence had gone on long enough, he said, "Call off the attack."

She sputtered in surprise, color rising to her cheeks. "You know I don't have the power to influence my father's decisions."

"Hmm..." Draco replied, holding the girl with an icy look. "That's most unfortunate."

She scoffed, her face contorting in an ugly manner. "If Potter hadn't shown up, you wouldn't have a leg to stand on. It would have been your word against ours – and your word isn't worth much these days. It's in your best interest to remember that fact before you start making ridiculous demands."

Draco did not allow the smile to slip from his face. "If that's too difficult for you, then how about something easier? How about you get your snakes in line? Have them keep their fangs away from me until we graduate."

She paused to consider his request, eyes burning with rage at the necessity of this arrangement.

"Fine," she grumbled. "I'll see what I can do, but snakes rarely listen to anyone. I will not be held responsible for the few that refuse to comply, nor will I be held responsible for others outside of my jurisdiction."

It was enough. Draco was careful not to let the relief show on his face.

"I suppose that is acceptable," he replied.

Pansy stood to leave, a look of utter disgust on her face at having to make these concessions. Crabbe and Goyle hung back as she walked away, eyes darting about anxiously.

"I'm sorry about last night," Goyle informed. "We didn't know what they were planning. They told us that they were just going to rough you up a bit. You know how that goes?"

His eyes met Draco's, an earnest expression on his face. "If we had known – we wouldn't have agreed to it."

Crabbe shifted nervously behind him, looking equally mortified.

"Is that all?" Draco inquired, dismissing them without accepting their apology.

They both looked wounded, Goyle nodding before they both darted away to catch up with Pansy.

While he didn't doubt the sincerity of their actions, he wasn't about to let them off so easily. They belonged to Pansy now after all.

Draco needed some fresh air. He finished off the rest of his tea, setting the cup gently in the saucer before heading off for the grounds. Harry caught up with him a few minutes later, huffing with the effort of chasing him down.

"You didn't wait for me," he accused. "Is everything okay? I saw Parkinson talking to you."

Draco smiled, pleased at the memory of the game he had just won. "We've reached an agreement," he replied evasively.