No Time for Love

Draco found himself furiously wiping at tears that wouldn't stop falling. He'd been so stupid. All this time he had been warning Harry to watch his back and then... He shuddered at the memory of Nott's body pressed against his, of rough kisses forced upon his lips, of hot breath on his neck, of smiling cat-like eyes watching the whole thing play out. If Harry hadn't shown up when he did...he felt sick just thinking about what could have happened, what would have happened. How would he ever be able to look Harry in the eyes again?

Draco rubbed frantically at the spot on his neck where Nott had breathed on him, struggling with the memory of how terrified he'd been.

"Draco," Harry's tentative voice called out from just inside the window. His arrival had gone completely unnoticed.

"Go away," Draco growled, his heart feeling like it was being squeezed. He didn't want Harry to see him like this. He felt sick with shame.

Harry ignored his warning as he moved closer, wrapping his arms around Draco's trembling body. Draco pushed against him, struggling to break free, struggling against the memory of Nott and his overpowering presence. Harry didn't seem to understand; didn't seem to realize the effect he was having on him.

"I'm sorry," Harry sobbed, clinging desperately to him. "I'm sorry I wasn't faster. I'm sorry I couldn't get there sooner."

Draco stopped resisting, eyes wide as the realization hit him. Draco finally understood why Harry had reacted so violently before. He thought of those scorching emerald eyes when he appeared in the classroom as deadly as a lightning strike, the look of abject terror that had played out on Pansy's face, the way Nott's agonized screams echoed all around him as Harry towered over him. Remembering those things gave Draco strength, helped him to compose himself so that he could face the boy.

"You made it in time," he whispered into Harry's ear, mentally reminding himself of that fact as well.

Harry pulled back with a surprised gasp, studying Draco's face to see if he was lying.

"I made it in time?" Harry questioned in disbelief.

Draco nodded.

"Then why.....?" he gestured at the angry red mark on Draco's neck.

Draco clapped his hand over it, glancing away in embarrassment and shame.

"I was an idiot," he admitted softly. "I messed up."

"But nobody is blaming you," Harry stated in confusion.

"I just need some time to sort out how I feel about this," Draco explained, pushing Harry further away.

"Oh," he whispered softly, suddenly looking very lost and vulnerable.

In response to the look on Harry's face, Draco's heart gave a little tug. He leaned forward, capturing Harry's lips with his own for the briefest of moments. He wasn't sure what had possessed him; maybe he wanted to burn away the memory of Nott's rough lips on his.

Harry's eyes went wide with shock. He pulled away, his fingers brushing gently across his lips as if testing that they were real.

"Sorry," Draco whispered, a little bit in shock himself at what he'd done.

Harry's eyes darkened, he grasped Draco's face with his rough hands, pulling his chin up so that he could press his warm lips against his. It was Draco's turn to be surprised and he found himself surrendering to Harry's needy kiss.

They pulled apart, breathless and amazed, losing themselves in each other's eyes.

"That was..." Draco began.