CHAPTER 3

Layton's eyes bore into her with blunt refusal to avert his gaze. His face was devoid of warmth or emotions, even more than before.

Catherine blinked several times as if she was seeing things. But the man who calmly sat on her couch with his hands crossed didn't poof like she had hoped.

The mere seconds she wasted standing in the doorway, gawking, felt like decade. Indistinct sounds was all she could manage in her state of shock. She was expecting someone unpleasant. A police officer or a detective. But not him!

Catherine did the first thing that came in her mind - bolt. Or at least attempted to do so...

The second she swiveled around to run for it, her body collided with a hard wall that had appeared out of blue, making her stumble backwards.

A tall, bald man stared down at her through the hued lenses of his spectacles. To say that he was large would be an understatement. His muscles looked like they would bust out of his suit that tightly hugged his form. The fabric was stretched to its limits. It was surprising that he even managed to squeeze himself in the jacket.

Man's face was about as pliable as a rock. He looked like someone too enormous to move quickly. But he proved that statement wrong.

As if he was capable of reading her thoughts, his hand that stiffly lied at his side shot out like it was remote controlled, and grabbed her by collar. Catherine's hand went to his wrist as she felt her toes no longer touching the ground. Her legs dangled as he held her inches above the floor with no strain.

"Let go of me!" She shouted as he pushed her inside her apartment. Her steps flattered and she barely kept herself for toppling onto the floor. Catherine regained her balance, glaring up at the man who now blocked her exit. There was no getting past him.

Her eyes shifted to the handsome business magnate, once again meeting his pointed gaze. Layton emitted power and confidence, sitting on a couch like a king in a throne.

'Who does he think he is!? First he barges in my home and now his loyal watchdog is jostling me around like a rag doll! All that over few Franklins!'

"Sit." Layton enjoined, motioning towards a chair in front of him.

"I'm not your lap dog to obey command sit."

"Suit yourself." He said with asperity, clearly displeased with her answer. "I'll get to straight the point. Return what you stole." His orotund voice send shivers through her body.

"I don't know what y-"

"Don't play dumb." He interrupted her, eyes narrowing to slits. "You took my wallet, and now you'll return it to me otherwise I'll hand you over to police." Layton growled.

She had to resist an urge to gulp at his threat. He was in control of the situation, pressing the right buttons to make her more agitated. His fierce eyes had her gnawing in the insides of her cheeks as she strived to maintain her cool.

After a good minute of counting cons and pros, she sighed in defeat. Reaching in her pocket she took out his wallet, tossing it towards him.

For her disappointment he caught it effortlessly. She had hoped it would smack his face.

"For my defense, I only took what belonged to me. You refused to give me compensation, so I took it myself." Catherine stated, putting as much confidence in her voice as possible.

"For a moment I thought you weren't quite as dumb. Looks like I was wrong." Layton said matter-of-factly, as if insulting someone was perfectly normal for him.