CHAPTER 17

Authors note: Thank you for all of those that comment, vote and support! It encourages me to keep writing this story and many more to come. Thank you!!

"Relax. You're so stiff that I could've chosen a broom for my escort instead of you." Layton's deep voice sounded in her ear, a low warning whisper. 

"Easy for you to say. And I never asked to be here in the first place. You could've taken that broom." Catherine protested, her eyes wide as five cent coins. The hall hosted dozens upon dozens of guests. She could barely take a step not to trip over someone. Colors of expensive gowns made her feel like she had an unicorn for dinner and now she was high. 

This was scary. The setting was enough to give one a social anxiety.

"We are not discussing this now. There are many important figures here tonight. Mind your manners." Layton growled, his hand moving from holding her own to the low of her back. Their sides pressed together as he lead her through the crowd. She was too nervous to object, seeking at least some comfort from his warmth. 

The air was thick. Many curious eyes were drilling holes into the pair, some guests not bothering to mask their brewing gossip. On their way to the table, they were approached by countless of overly rich people. All of them treated Layton as if he was a God, giving him their greetings and attempting to arrange a meeting, which he disregarded with a simple glare. 

"Mr. Grim. My wife and I would be happy to welcome you and your pretty partner in our humble home." A man Layton had just bumped into spoke. He looked like a Barbies boyfriend, only fifty years older and with butt implants. Someone who could afford such monstrosity on themselves certainly had a lot of access cash. Maybe that's why Layton let the man speak. 

Catherine could feel his fingers dig into her side, jaw clenching in mild annoyance. The old man didn't even notice the deadly look Layton was sending his way. 

"I am certain we could-" 

"I am certain we won't." Layton finally snapped, now looking pissed. "Quit wasting my time, Mr. Bart. We have had this conversation and I am not interested." Layton simply stepped to the side, dragging Catherine with him as he stomped off. 

And I should mind my manners....

"Burn...." Catherine whispered silently, slightly amused. "I thought there were many important snobs here and we should mind what we say." She teased, the grin on her face contrasting on the scowl Layton was sporting. 

"He was not worth my time." The man said simply, releasing her waist. Finally they had reached their table. It was positioned in front of a small podium with a speaker on it and a couple of people were already sitting there, one of which she recognized instantly. 

"Ah, finally you two came." Lucas smiled widely, oozing fake innocence. "Took you long enough." His voice was a teasing purr as he sat with his arms propped on the armrests. He wore a silvery grey suit with striking red tie. The blonde hair were styled messily, but kept neat and combed. Just like the first time she saw him, he looked gorgeous. 

At his side sat a beautiful woman with long red hair and deep brown eyes. She was messing with her nails until she saw Layton and turned her attention to eye-raping the other brother. 

"Shut up." Layton growled, taking his seat without another glance at his brother. If it was even possible, he looked even more grumpy than he did before. 

"That's my sunshine of a brother." Lucas grinned, sarcasm dripping off his alluringly low voice. 

Catherine was left standing, confused, watching the exchange awkwardly before Lucas's pale green orbs landed on her.