CHAPTER 16

This is stupid. Why should I attend some random gala?  

"Please don't frown. I can't put on your make up." The woman who had been working on Catherine's face for the past hour grumbled, patience just barely holding by the thread after having heard all the complaints. The woman was an exceptionally difficult client and wouldn't shut up for a god damn second. 

"This is dumb. I feel like I have a cake on my face." 

"Miss, please don't move."

"I ain't moving! You're the one poking my eye out!" 

"Ugh. That's it. I'm done." The makeup artist announced, glaring daggers at the woman in the chair. 

"Oh, thank God!" Catherine sighed. The seething from the other woman fell on deaf ears as she sprung up from the uncomfortable chair. Layton had ordered a makeup artist and a hairdresser to attend to her looks. Quote: 'To make her presentable'. 

If it hadn't been for his comment of how she looked like a raccoon that's been it by a truck, perhaps she wouldn't be that mad. 

That fucking bastard! 

Catherine fumed, her gaze meeting the mirror for the first time. The reflection had her jaw dropping. She could hardly recognize herself. Dare she say, she looked like one of those models on VOGUE.Her unruly brunette hair were arranged in a neat bun, strands of loose hair sitting on either side of her painted face. Her sea blue eyes were rimmed by dark eyeliner that made them pop. 

For a second she was stunned, all racing thoughts of how she hated Layton coming to a halt. Perhaps this was not so bad.....

No. It is bad. Only I look good.

An obviously overpriced gown lied atop the bed, waiting to complete the glamorous look. Dress of silky black. 

"That must cost a fortune....." Catherine murmured, fingers running across the cool, soft material. 

"It does." 

"Wha-" Catherine swiveled around at the deep voice coming from behind her. 

"Jeez, you nearly gave me a heart attack. Don't you know it's not good to sneak up on people?" She grumbled, glaring at the dark haired man. Layton simply scoffed.

"Get dressed. We have to go soon." 

Her eyebrow arched upwards. She had gotten used to his dominating ways, but nothing could change how annoying it was. "And you're going to watch?" Catherine crossed her arms, trying to keep on the best glare she could master. 

"I could." Layton's expression hardly changed. Still cold and stoic. But the devious look in his eyes had her stepping back to grab onto the nearest hard object she could fling across the room. 

"I dare you to try." 

"Put down the lamp." Layton sighed, already turning to return to the living room. "And hurry up. We don't have time for this." 

The door shut behind him, the footsteps growing more distant as the man retreated to the other room. She could never read him. He could go from ice cold to fire hot in a second. He was beyond annoying! And arrogant! God, somebody had inflated his ego like a balloon and she couldn't find a needle to pop it. 

But he's handsome too....Tall, muscular...No. Stop. He's a fucking devil! 

Catherine shook her head, returning to stare at the dress. When she got dressed, she had lost all sights of the girl in torn leather jacket and dirty sneakers. She was elegant, her slender frame kissed by the silk of the dress. The fabric swirled around her legs with every step, the slit to the side teasing with an occasional show of her legs.