CHAPTER 25

The trip was miserable. Her hangover had lessened, but hadn't disappeared completely. The pressure from aircraft raising to the sky had her complexion turn green. And that wasn't even the worst part of it all. Layton was in a terrible mood and Victoria only made it worse. Her presents alone irritated the man beyond measure. 

Catherine quickly learned that her sin was vanity and it couldn't suit her better. Victoria was like a bitchy female version of her brother. Some of the things she said on the ride got Catherine's hair to stand on end. At one point Layton even threatened to toss her out of the jet. 

The flight wasn't long. Just over an hour later the trio were already sitting comfortably in a car, on their way to a lavish mansion. 

With every mile passing beneath the wheels, Catherine felt her apprehensiveness escalate. She nervously gnawed on the insides of her cheeks and couldn't help her fingers from playing with the hem of her shirt. 

By the time the car rolled to a stop in front of creaky iron gates, the nervousness had turned into dread. She could see an enormous building looming in the distance. It gave out a Victorian era kind of feel with large columns flanked on either side of dark wood door. 

It would've been beautiful if she didn't know that the house hosted seven deadly sins and whoever their father might be! 

"I can smell your fear, little lamb." Victoria spoke up next to her. "There's nothing to be so nervous about. It's just a friendly family gathering." 

Something told Catherine not to trust the smile on the woman's face. 

Friendly gathering my ass...

After a short moment the car was let through and parked in front of the mansion. They were greeted by lofty man and a couple maids. The female servants stood in a neat line by the door, their heads lowered. The butler also bowed when they got out from the car. 

"Mr and Miss Grim. Welcome home." The man spoke in a calm, controlled manner. Catherine was fairly sure he saw her getting out from the car as well, but the man treated her like air. 

We're off to a good start...

"Good to be back." Victoria smiled, taking in the large mansion before her. "Nothing has changed here. Say, are we the last ones to arrive?" She questioned the butler. 

"I'm afraid so, Miss. Everyone has already gathered." 

"I'm amazed. We came in after Sloth!" 

"Enough. Let's get this over with." Layton interrupted his sister. He didn't bother to wait for anyone as he made his way up to the grand entrance. Catherine was quick to catch up. There was no way in hell she would leave the man's side anytime soon. He was her only chance of survival if things went south.

The house certainly didn't disappoint. The interior was just as glamorous as exterior. It oozed wealth and gave feeling that the owner of this house was alive way before she was even born. Wooden details mixed with crimson red fabrics. Wherever she looked, she could spot golden ornaments. Catherine already felt herself become overwhelmed. It felt like stepping into another century.

"Cavenon. Don't space out." Layton whispered in her ear, snapping her out from the daze. He couldn't guarantee her safety if she got lost. 

"We hooked up and you're still calling me by my last name?" 

All she got as a response was a glare. Of course. One night hadn't changed a damn. The thought sent pang of through her chest. Somehow it was painful to think that. 

Catherine shook her head, quickly getting rid of those thoughts as she trailed after the two sins and the elitist butler. They were lead into a grand dinner hall with a long table placed in middle. Some of the seats were already taken.