CHAPTER 28

Run.

The word had been ringing in her ears since they left the mansion. It was damn hard not to flee around the nearest corner and she would've done it, if it wasn't for the wise voice in the back of her head that whispered for her to wait for the right time. 

So, there she sat stiffly in Layton's office chair, waiting for him to finish an angry phone call. His voice boomed through the room, scaring away every single employee that passed by. It was Sunday and yet the office buzzed with people. They had been gone for one day and so many things had gone South without the man's supervision. 

"You all are bunch of ignorant fools!" He roared into the phone before hanging up. His hand shook with rage. The man was seconds away from flinging the device across the room. "Fucking idiots. They screw it all up!" He continued, making the secretary standing in the corner flinch with dread. 

Angelique had entered five minutes ago and her boss hadn't even noticed her. 

"What's wrong with you?" Layton's sharp tone suddenly addressed Catherine who had been sinking in her own thoughts all this time.

"Huh? Uh, nothing." Her gaze lifted from her lap for the briefest moment. She didn't dare looking him in the eyes. They were like a reminder of who he was and how he had used her. It was painful. 

"Don't lie to me." He growled. "You haven't said anything since we got back. Don't be a nuisance and tell me." 

The woman glared up at him, "I said it's nothing. Go do...some stuff." 

The room froze over with the way his eyes narrowed at her. "Cavenon," His voice held warning. "I won't repeat myself." 

"Nobody's asking you to." Catherine shrugged, seemingly unbothered. The flight back had been long and awkward. She was silent the entire way, quite a massive change since yesterday when she had been the one demanding answers. 

A loud 'crack' echoed through the room as the expensive smartphone cracked under Layton's fingers. This was the first time they had a chance to talk. All the time he was bombarded by phone calls and dozens of questions. This someone that had messed up, had done Catherine a huge favor. 

"Uhm, sir?" Angelique, a.k.a, the blonde bimbo, squeaked from the corner, finally mustering enough courage to speak. 

"What?!" Layton's roar sent the woman stepping back as if he was a wild animal preparing for attack. 

"The partners are holding an emergency meeting...They're waiting for you." 

The man sighed tiredly, dismissing his secretary with a quick wave. "I'll be right there." His eyes once again landed on Catherine. The woman swiveled in his chair, not bothered by his anger. The first chance she got, she would be outta here and never see him again. 

"I'll tell the driver to take you home. We will talk when I get back." His eyes remained fixed on her for a second longer, like he wanted to stay more, but no words came. Layton left the office in couple swift strides. 

The second the door shut behind him, Catherine hopped up from the leather chair, her heart sent into overdrive. 

Fucking finally. 

She had waited for hours. The words of sins still rung through her head. She had been a fool to let herself be charmed by a sin. 

I should've done this long ago.

Catherine made sure Layton was nowhere in sight before she left the office building. As promised, the car was already waiting for her, but she was not about to head back to his apartment. She might not get a chance like this again. The stuff could be replaced. There was only one place she could think of where she would feel safe.