CHAPTER 29

"How long has it been? Two years? Three? Do you even remember?" The voice spoke from somewhere in darkness. Low and threateningly sweet. It was a familiar timbre, one that awoke deep rooted dread. "You were asleep for so long, I got worried." Footsteps approached her, slow and taunting. 

The darkness was suddenly replaced by faint light as the sable fabric bag was ripped from her head. Catherine blinked, her eyes taking their time to adjust. She found herself in a basement lit by a single light bulb. It offered just enough light to reveal three men present in the room. Two of them she knew very well. 

"Don't be a jerk, Jace." Nick sat in the corner, his arms crossed over his chest and a deep scowl on his face. 

"I would never be, watch your tongue, boy. This is my lady. I would never wrong her." Jace, a dark haired man, purred. He had changed since she last met him. His once powerful build was now gaunt. He looked like a man that had seen the worst and somehow had survived. Hollow-cheeked and grizzle; he no longer could charm a woman to his bed. 

His demeanour hadn't changed thought.

"I wanted some chat time before we close the deal, but you, my dear, were out for so long, we don't have a whole lot left. Pity." He smirked, leaning down to the same eye level as Catherine. She was bound to a metallic chair, her hands tied behind her back firmly. She could only watch as his hand caressed her cheek. "Did you miss me?" 

"Fuck you." She spat, glaring at the man the best she could. 

"Ah! You haven't changed at all! Still as fiery as ever, even after we...broke up." He chuckled, grasping her chin painfully. "Sad, I was hoping you would be at least a little submissive. Our fun night taught you nothing." 

"Nick....why?" Catherine stared up at Jace, forced to look at him, but she did not want to talk to him. 

"I'm sorry, Cat. It had to be done." Nick's voice filled the basement. "I told you about my mother. I need money to help her. This will be a new start for me and her." 

Betrayal darkened her eyes. Nick's mother was gravely sick. The young woman knew that, but nothing could justify his actions. She really was alone in this world. Layton had used her, Jace had used her and Nick as well....her only friend. "You knew this from the start?" 

"Don't fucking ignore me!" Jack interrupted, squeezing her cheeks. "I am here as well. I recruited him, I was the one that payed him to find you!" Jack snarled, his grip on her tightening. "It took me years to get to this moment." He spat out every word, his chest heaving. 

"Jace. Client said that she has to be unharmed." A third man she had never seen before spoke. He had been silent, watching the scene unfold with his back leaned against the door. The guy was so casual, like he was waiting for coffee in Starbucks instead of watching someone being abducted. 

Jace took a deep breath, chuckling as he exhaled. "You're right. I got carried away." He released Catherine's chin, giving her an amused look.

 "It's just been a while. These meetings are always emotional." He took a step back. "As I begun to explain. I hired Nick. He sure was silent for a long time," Jace glared at the said man before carrying on, "But life always sets things right. I have found myself other girls to play with, you were without a doubt my favorite, but times change. I just wanted to see you one more time, and so it happens, that I also get a good cash out of it. Two bird with one shot. I get to see you pay for leaving me, and I get money. Fair, right?" 

"You're a sick man." Catherine growled, wrath mixing into her voice. "You will be the one regretting this." 

"Uff, i'm scared. And what will you do, hm?" He taunted, giving her a hungry look.