CHAPTER 12

Hello dear readers! I am terribly sorry for having stopped this story for a while. There were some things happening in my real life, but now I am back with new twists and turns! Catherine really doesn't know what she has gotten herself into with this man. As always, follow, vote and comment! Love, Gabriela. 

The lights surrounding the city made her feel like she had traveled to a different universe. All the colors and glimmering ads created an illusion of picture perfect. Many times she had stopped to stare at the colorful tall buildings or just observed from outside how people mingled in bars and cafes, going on about their lives without a care.

Something about all that made her tad envious . She was surrounded by all this beauty and glamour, but never was meant to be part of it. She would always be just a girl from scraps, watching the world from far away.

A part of her still conflicted if what was happening would be for the good or not. Layton was without a doubt a billionaire, someone capable of either raising one's life to new heights or of destroying it completely. This time it was her balancing helplessly on the edge of the blade that could tip her over any second.

 All that for a stupid cheeseburger....

Catherine sighed, rubbing her arms to get some warmth flowing into her frozen body. She had lost track of how long she had wandered about, but judging by how numb her fingers had gone, it must've been over an hour.

I can already hear all the "Where have you been!? I told you not to leave this suite!"

"Whatever...." Catherine grumbled to herself, turning on her heel to march away from the cozy cafe she had been standing outside of.

People kept pushing past her and she blended in perfectly with the grey masses, eyeing a couple bulging wallets sticking out from the pockets out of an old habit. Okay, maybe more than just that. The idea of sitting inside that cafe instead of staring at it from outside like an idiot was tempting.

 Her bottom lip slowly slipped between her teeth with a deep breath. A man in his late thirties was heading right towards her, his tired gaze fixed on his cellphone. He was exhausted, with a sway in his walk, perhaps a little tipsy, having just stumbled out from a nearby bar. His coat looked nicely fitted and sewn, handmade most likely. And right in the left pocket of that coat was a familiar square outline.

There were many people around and he was the perfect target. With a soft exhale, her still fingers gripped the edge of her hood, slowly tugging it over her head. The voice in back of her head that sang not to do it was silenced completely by her slightly raising heartbeat.

The heat rose to her cheeks with every step she closed in on the man, fingers curling and uncurling inside her pocket.

One....two....BAM!

"Watch where you're going, bitch!" The man who had just passed by her snarled, not even glancing down at Catherine who now was on her fours onto the ground.

He was gone the next second and her target as well.

"Fucking bastard...." Catherine felt her blood begin to boil, hands balling into fists. It was such a good chance, ruined by some random dudes elbow! 

Just my luck...

Her frown deepened at the sight of slightly bruised palms. At least she managed to break the fall before ending up face planting into a puddle. There goes the dream of warm coffee....

"Did you hurt yourself, my dear?"

Catherine's head snapped upwards towards a deep, velvety man's voice. Pale caledon eyes stared back at her from above. There was something in them that made her stomach turn in an odd way, hardly unpleasant. Rather opposite even.