Prologue

Keith's P.O.V

We thought it would be a routine mission, patrol with the lions and come back safe, but we were wrong. So wrong.

--- Present time ---

"Paladins!" Shiro yelled, his voice booming over the speaker.

"Stop training session," I yelled, heading to the control room. Pidge, Hunk, and Lance were already there, sitting in the comfortable seats. I sat down and looked at Shiro, wondering what this was about.

"We got a distress call from a small planet nearby," Shiro explained, "I need three of you to go do a patrol, and if anything happens do not engage, understand?" We all looked at Lance, giving him a knowing look.

"What?" He asked, clueless.

"Keith, Lance, Hunk," Allura looked at us, "we want you guys to check out this planet. Get ready to leave as soon as possible." I nodded and got up, heading to my room. I took a quick shower and headed down the zip line to the docking bay.

"Hey Red," I greeted my lion. She purred and let me inside.

"Are you guys ready?" I asked, settling behind the controls. It was silent for a moment until Lance's annoying voice rang through the coms.

"Yeah, let's go, Mullet," Lance teased.

"We're ready Keith," Hunk said, joining in.

"All right," I powered up my lion, "then let's go."

--- Time Skip to planet ---

We made it to the planet in two doboshes, everything was eerily quiet. I flew closer to the planet, the blue and yellow lions in tow.

"C'mon, we need to get closer," I urged my lion closer, but a bright flash shot towards me. I quickly dodged it, readying my lion's jaw blade, "Guys, be on alert!"

"Yeah, we figured Keith!" Lance yelled, using his lion's mouth cannon.

"Uh, guys?" Hunk called. I used my tail laser on an incoming Galra ship.

"Let's go!" I yelled, turning around to see a Galra fleet surrounding us. This was going to be difficult.

I shot the last Galra ship with my magma beam, panting hard. We had been attacked by the Galra, but I had to see if the distress had been real. I sped towards the planet, ignoring Hunk and Lance's yells. I hovered near the surface of the planet, looking for any signs of life. I turned around after searching the whole planet, only to be met with a Galra ship. Before I could fire anything, the ship fired at me. I ejected out of my lion and floated in space, unconscious.

A/N: Sorry if the first this was really short, though nobody would be reading this anyway. The chapters will get longer soon.