• P E R S E P H O N E •

______________________________

"Ashton."

I woke up with a start, my head spinning and my breath rugged. My arms were shaking as I grasped at my surroundings. I didn't recognize them. Room. I was in a room, neon aquamarine lighting providing the majority of the light. I massaged my temples for a moment as I tried to gather myself together.

The club. I remembered going to the club. I was angry. I was lonely. How did I get here? But then I remembered the music, the color, the lights. And then I remembered the pills. I remember the burning feeling of them melting on my tongue. I remember the room spinning, my surroundings warping.

And now I was here.

"Fuck." I whispered to myself, hoping I hadn't done anything too regrettable. And slowly I began to shift my gaze to the other side of the bed, worried about what I might find there. But there was nothing there, only the wrinkled sheets that remained from where someone else must've slept. Slowly I reached out my fingers to touch them; someone had been there. Someone had been in this bed with me.

As regret began to fill me, it was then that I noticed that I was fully clothed. Now normally this would've provided me with a rare moment of relief, but these clothes weren't mine. Strangely enough, I was dressed in what seemed to be a sort of silk pajama set in a light aquamarine color that matched the lights around the room. I danced my fingertips across the fabric, it feeling like water beneath my touch. "What the ... what the fuck?" I breathed, now actively trying to wrack my brain for what exactly was happening.

"You're awake."

I jumped in surprise, the deep voice taking me by surprise. Looking up, I noticed a man had somehow notice to open the door without me noticing. He stood leaning in the doorway, arms crossed, eyes dancing.

"Who are you? Where am I?" My tone was harsh as I dug my fingernails into the palms of my hands.

"You don't remember much from last night then, do you love?" His voice seemed to flow as smoothly as the silk, neon light refracting in his dark eyes. With matching dark hair and big stance, he radiated an enviable sort of confidence shrouded by a dark sense of mystery.

I pursed my lips. This must be a man I met last night, but what we did or how I got here still escaped my memory. So with words laced with embarrassment I shook my head slowly. "No." I shifted my gaze to the floor for a moment before meeting his eyes again. "What did I... did we..." I could feel the blood burn behind my cheeks, embarrassment completely taking me over now as I attempted to force myself to ask the inevitable question.

He smiled in amusement. "Are you trying to ask if we fucked, love?"

Taken aback a second my his bluntness, I quickly regathered myself. "I just don't remember a thing. I woke in a bed I don't recognize, and I'm sitting here in clothes that aren't mine. Surely you could indulge me a few questions about my activities last night. Seeing that you're here, I'm assuming we already met."

He was silent for a moment before continuing. "To answer your first question, no we didn't. We could've, we would've, but you were high out of your mind. And I don't participate in taking advantage of incapacitated women."

I nodded slowly, attempting to piece together the scene. "But the clothes..." I gestured to what I was wearing in confusion.

"Consider it a gift. Yours were covered in alcohol, glitter, and god knows what else. I simply thought you'd be a bit more comfortable  waking up in something that wasn't a mess."

"Why?" I said almost too quickly. "Seems a little too kind to be acting towards someone you only met last night."

He chuckled. "Ah, a cynic. I should've guessed it." He started before walking closer to the bed and nodding to the spot next to me. "May I?"

I nodded slowly, trying to figure out whatever game was being played here. He sat down not too close, but not far away either. He angled his body so that he faced me, both hands placed on his knees.

"Ashton?" I tilted my head slightly. "I woke up and it was first word I thought of. Are you Ashton or was that a dream?"

"It only seems fair I answer that question if you tell me your name." Amusement flickered in His amber eyes again, dancing round with the neon light.

I pursed my lips again. I didn't trust this man, but then again I suppose he had seen me at one of my worse moments and taken care of me, so the lease I could do would be to give him my name. Names are power after all though, I find it wise to be careful who you give yours out to. "I suppose you could call me Cora, then."

"Cora." He repeated it. "Well what now then, Cora?"

"I guess I should go." I said without moving an inch.

"Should you?" It sounded more like a challenge than a question, but there was just something in his words I couldn't get past. There was mystery in his eyes and secrets on his lips. It made me want to know more, and a strange indescribable feeling overtook me. I didn't like it.

"I'm not in the habit of letting handsome strangers seduce me." I said, turning away and standing up.

"What happened to flying high, Icarus?"

I turned back around to face him again. "And what does that mean?"

"I have a proposition for you Cora. Take it, and I'll change your life forever."

I raised my eyebrows and scoffed. "And what the hell does that even mean? I met you last night, and I'm only here because I was high out of my mind and made a fucking fool of myself."

"Tell me you're happy then, Cora." My name rolled off his lips in an entrancing fashion.

"Excuse me?"

"Because the girl I met last night wasn't happy. She wasn't happy at all. She craved so much more than this ordinary life she found herself stuck in."

I was taken aback. "I'm sorry and who exactly do you think you are? Like I just said, you met me last night when I was so high that reality practically shifted for me. Anything I said or did was thanks to the LSD coursing through my veins and the alcohol clinging to my lips. It wasn't me."

He simply smiled, a sort of knowing smile that infuriated me. I didn't like feeling as if I were missing something. "Okay Cora, how about this-" he stood up from the bed and stood directly in front of me, his large frame practically eclipsing mine. "Walk out that door with me right now, and I'll give you $5,000.

No

questions

asked".

__________________________

Yay for character development. I hope this chapter was enjoyable. I know things are still confusing, but like I said all will be revealed when it's supposed to. Remember to like or feel free to leave a comment telling me what you think! I love to hear my readers opinions. Thank you all so much!