•LUKE AND CORA MAKE BAD DECISIONS: EPISODE 2 •

•••Cora•••
________________________________

"We've got to do this."

Luke's words burned my ears as I attempted to calm myself down. Of course it wasn't working. How could it? Someone was dead. Someone was did and I didn't even know her name. I couldn't even properly apologize.

I could only manage a silent nod as I avoided his dark gaze. I didn't have then energy to fight him on this. And for some odd reason though, I felt as if he were right. This felt like the first domino in a long series of unfortunate events. I don't know why I felt that way, but it was in my bones. The sense of ominous foreshadowing took the place of my marrow as it screamed at me from the inside. Somethings not right.

It was clear Luke knew something I didn't, but now didn't seem the time to ask. Right now there was a life that had been lost, and I was covered in her blood. I pulled away from Luke's grasp, kneeling down again. I put one of my bloodied hands against her pale cheek. "I'm sorry..." I whispered. "I'm so, so sorry." I traced my fingers along her neck until I realized a long silver chain hung from it. Just out of morbid curiosity, I tugged in the chain. A small silver pendent hanging from the chain revealed itself from the folds of her dress.

As I examined it, I could see it was inscribed. Hoping to see a name in a sick means to ease my guilt, I brought it closer. There wasn't a name, but there were initials.

"What does it say?" I head Luke's voice from behind me.

"N, A, R." I read the initials out loud. N, A, R. It wasn't a name, but it was enough to make the tears brim my eyes again. I clutched the pendant in my hand, attempting to will them away. "She was innocent, Luke. This wasn't her time. It wasn't meant to be like this."

"I'm sorry this happened, Cora."

"Me too." But I wasn't speaking to him. I was speaking to her.

After a few more minutes of excruciating silence, Luke spoke up again. "Cora we need to get going. The longer we stay here, the more dangerous it is for us."

My hands began shaking again. The thought was so disgusting to me. I willed myself to push it away though, the emotions. I needed to be numb for this.  I needed for the pain to vanish and for the dread to disappear back into my bones. "What do we need to do..." I whispered after a moment.

"This is a pretty secluded stretch of road. If we could just move her body to one of the ditches on the side, I doubt anyone would find her for awhile."

I clutched my hand around the pendant even harder. Disgusting. The words were so vile, but it didn't seem like there was much of a choice in this situation.

"What we're doing isn't wrong, Cora." It was like he had been reading my thoughts, analyzing my emotions. "It's survival."

Upon hearing those words, I yanked the silver chain and pendant off the woman's neck. Balling it up in my fist, I shoved it into my pocket. I wouldn't forget this woman. A final single tear made its way down my cheek before I took a deep breathe to compose myself. "I'll grab her legs then."

Luke nodded solemnly, and in dead silence we picked up her body. Bodies without life are heavy, as the lightness if the souls are gone, leaving behind the weight of the blood and bones. I struggles at first, slippery with blood, but eventually Luke and I were able to half carry, half drag the woman to the side of the road.