• V A N I S H •

•••Cora•••
________________________________

"He was pushed."

The man's cool expression didn't change as he leaned forward in the table. "Now that's quite the secret, sweetheart."

I smiled. "Well you never said it had to be true."

He raised his eyebrows. "So you're telling me that wasn't true?"

"No, I'm telling you it's your turn now. A secret for a secret." I leaned forward expectantly.

He chuckled. "Alright then, I'll play this." He said setting his drink he'd been holding down. The light shadowed his face in such a way that half of it was illuminated as half of it was shadowed. "In five minutes two men are going to walk in here and shoot the man in the upper right hand booth. The thing is, no one will react." And with that he leaned back, bringing his drink back to his lips.

"Oh so now you're telling me lies?" I raised my eyebrows.

"What makes you assume that's a lie?" His tone sounded darker now, and for some reason that put me on edge.

I laughed nervously. "What're you talking about? I thought we were just telling stories."

"I said secrets, sweetheart." Again, his cool eyes showed no emotion as he simply stared at me.

"Listen as much I'd love to entertain your murder fantasy, I've had enough strange in the past day. So if you wouldn't mind-" I started moving out of the booth to get up.

"You really do bow out as soon as you get uncomfortable, don't you?" His words stung my ears.

I turned to him. "Excuse me?"

"You're scared. You don't hide it very well." It felt like he was mocking me.

"Maybe I don't like strange men coming up to me, telling me someone is about to be murdered." I retorted, my frustration growing.

"You don't seem like the type of girl to mind a little bit of blood."

"You're not one to judge the type of girl I am though, are you? You don't know me."

"I know enough. I know enough from the way you sit. I know enough from the way you speak. And I know enough from what's behind those eyes of yours."

I didn't like that comment. I didn't like this man insinuating that I was easy to read. "You're crazy."

"You're in the habit of calling those who think differently from you crazy, aren't you?"

I tilted my head. "Habit? I—"

It was just then that the doors to the bar opened again. I felt the cool air creep it's way in, intertwining with the red light to enhance the ominous atmosphere. The darkened shape of a man entered before he made his way to the bar.

I looked at the man sitting in front of me, but he just cooly sipped his drink, the light reflecting in the liquid.

"Whatever this is, I'm not going to participate in it." I attempted to leave, but he spoke again.