• C A T C H F I R E •

•••Cora•••
________________________________

"Well speak of the Devil."

Luke turned his phone so I could see Ashton's name illuminate the screen. I widened my eyes.

"Don't answer it!"

"I've got to answer it Cora, he'll just call me again."

I pursed my lips together, holding my breaths lightly so I could try to hear Ashton's voice as Luke answered the call.

"Yeah." Luke looked to me as he answered. "Yeah it's fine....We ran into some traffic before hitting the outskirts, but we're on our way now..." He was silent for a few moments. "Fuck, really? Ash are you sure that's a good idea... what're you having a change of heart?... okay okay fuck off, I'm sorry...." he looked over at me again. "Yeah, she's fine... about what?... yeah then, she's asking questions."

I glared at them. Clearly they were talking about me.

"Yeah... yeah.... don't worry I intend to keep that way... yeah...this is your deal Ashton, I'm just mediating... Ha well we don't hate eachother yet... yeah... soon... yeah, see ya." And with that he hung up and tossed his phone back in the cup holder.

I looked at him expectantly, but he simply focused his stare ahead through the cracked windshield. How he could make out the road behind that thing, I have no idea. "Well?" I finally asked.

"Well what?"

I tried to contain my agitation. Adrenaline was running thick in my blood. "Well what did he say?"

"Plans have changed a bit. Turns out we're gonna have a nice sit down dinner with our old friend Max Ronan."

I raised my eyebrows. "Didn't you just spend this entire fucking car ride telling me how dangerous this man was and how much Ashton hates him?"

"Listen sleeping beauty, this is news to me as well. Whatever Ashton has set up, he definitely didn't fucking tell me about it beforehand. The original plan was for me to take you to a meeting spot. Ash was going to meet with Ronan, and then he'd meet us. He wanted you far away from the guy. But Apparently it's fucking family dinner night now." Luke pressed on the gas, and I could feel myself dig my fingernails into my palm. Adrenaline.

"That doesn't make any goddamn sense. I saw the hatred he had for this man. What would make him want to do this?" I genuinely couldn't grasp the thought. Although to be fair, my mind wasn't exactly in one place right now. I felt almost dizzy, my eyes darting from point to point constantly. The lights outside suddenly seemed blinding, and my blood suddenly felt heavy. Sensory overdrive.

"Your guess is as good as mine. And I know Ashton. I know the shit he's been through. I know what he's lost. We've been through it together. I'm just as goddamn surprised." Luke seemed genuinely surprised. That unnerved me slightly seeing as that was not an emotion I had seen either of them really give off. Both of them seemed like very in control people, men who knew what they wanted and intended on doing anything to achieve that, regardless of the consequences. My theory had already been proven after the event with Luke. I closed my eyes and saw her pale skin, her beautiful white dress stained with blood, her arms outstretched like a ballerina dancer reaching for a light that she will never touch. Curtain call.