• THE ENEMY OF MY ENEMY •

•••Cora•••
________________________________

I've never felt dirtier.

Waking back through the black marble hallways was a surreal experience. The light reflected off the smooth surface, bathing me in its glowing aura. Purples danced on my fingertips as blues shone through the strands of my hair. I waved my arms serenely around me as I danced with an invisible partner. The long dress flowed with me as I continued to spin and dip. It was ridiculous.  I was happy.

Those few moments brought me back before all of this. Before I'd gotten myself into this labyrinth of lies and mysteries. Truly, I did want to help these men find Michael, but I got a sickening feeling that everything wasn't what I thought it was. Smoke, mirrors, and lights. Who's to say this wasn't a dream? Or maybe it was a nightmare?... I couldn't exactly tell right now. It all felt dark though. I could feel the ominous veil hanging overhead, waiting to descend upon us. Something wasn't right; I could feel it in my bones. It ran in my blood.

After I had successfully danced with myself in the winding hallways for far too long, I eventually made my way back to the lobby. I glanced over to the desk where I happened to make eye contact with the boy haired man. Instead of giving me the same sneer form earlier, he simply raised his eyebrows. I considered that an improvement.

I walked towards the dining and casino area, and suddenly I became quite aware that I had no idea where I was going. The area was beautiful though. Black marble, neon lights, and crystals for as far as the eye could see. An enormous cylindrical aquarium lay at the center, framed by two staircases that led to the second level.

Dozens of woman with diamonds dripping from their necks and ears sat at tables, holding glasses of blood colored wine. Dresses of every color imaginable spread throughout the room. I saw one woman with green curls leaning against a slot machine talking to a man with glittering gold eyeshadow. This place was pure color, as if every person embodied a different aspect of the rainbow. Suddenly I felt very bland in my black dress. These people were living in their own colorful daydreams while I walked, dark and dreary as a nightmare.

Music pulsed throughout the room, and suddenly I became extremely disorientated. I wandered aimlessly, trying to avoid eye contact with all the multicolored people. Eventually a man, most likely noticing how out of place I looked, waked over to me. He wore the the same black suit the man with the blue hair had, so I assumed he must work here.

"Are you lost Miss?" He greeted me with a cheerful smile.

"I uh... yes sorry... I am." I stumbled over my words clumsily, not necessarily knowing how to handle the situation. "I um, I'm looking for Ashton Irwin?"

His eyes quickly widened in recognition. "Ah yes, of course! You must be Cora, correct?"

I raised my eyebrows. "Yeah... how did you..."

He cut me off before I could finish my question. "Mr. Irwin informed us that you'd be dining with him tonight and that it was your first time here, so that if you ever needed any help, we are to immediately assist you."

I scoffed lightly. The gesture was a bit amusing. "Thank you. Could you show me where he is? I'm sorry for the inconvenience."

"Not at all." He smiled again before turning and walking briskly towards one of the neon lit staircases by the aquarium. He ascended quickly, and I was forced to pick up the glowing train of my silk dress as to not trip over it as I tried to match his speed. The slit up the side didn't make it any easier, and I'm sure I looked a mess grasping at the fabric while simultaneously trying to act like I could efficiently walk in heels.