I

"Have you seen the Young Miss?" A worried voice echoed through the lonely hall of the Su Manor.

"Have you checked her room?" Another voice asked.

"She's not there."

"Quickly find the Young Miss before Minister Su comes home. I will go and inquire whether the guards have seen her."

I heard their footsteps diminish into complete silence and I sighed in relief. I cautiously peeked from the table I was hiding from to make sure that no one was around before standing up.

Sliding through the walls, I was able to reach the door but before I could go out, a maid saw me and began shouting, "The Young Miss is here! Come, come! The Young Miss is here!"

Cursing under my breath, I pushed the door open and started running. When I turned to look back, a group of servants were already pursuing me.

Lifting my dress up to my knees, I ran harder. My hair which was tied in an elegant bun came loose and it stuck in my sweaty face.

Looking at me now, I was nowhere near the Minister's only daughter, the beautiful and proud Young Miss, Su Baise.

A small smile graced my lips when I saw the Manor's gate, but it was quickly changed into a frown seeing the guards surrounding it.

Change of plan!

I swiftly turned to a corner and climbed on top a barrel. I tried to reach for the wall but it was so high. Soon, the servants had caught up with me.

How am I supposed to escape?

"Don't come near me or else," I looked around me and at the barrel I was standing on, "I'll jump from this barrel!"

I heard a few of them snicker at my threat. Even I have to admit that it was a bit ridiculous.

Old Zhao glared at the younger servants and the servants ceased their chattering. Old Zhao looked at me with tenderness in her eyes, "Young Miss, please come down!"

"What is happening here?" A booming voice roared.

I was so scared that I instinctively jumped off the barrel but my dress got caught in its rough edges and I ended plummeting on the ground in a tasteless manner.

Old Zhao hurriedly approached me as she helped me stand up, checking if I had wounds or bruises.

"Old Zhao, bring her to my study." I didn't even have to raise my head to know that the voice belonged to Minister Su, my father.

"What else are you standing here for? Go back to your work!" Old Zhao angrily ordered the servants who immediately dispersed from the scene.

She then turned to me, "Young Miss, were you hurt? Do you want me to call the Manor's physician?"

"Old Zhao, I'm okay." I meekly answered. The courage which I had earlier already left me, and now, I'm just anxious of facing father.

Old Zhao nodded her head in understanding. Clipping my hair in a simple bun and tidying my dress, she led me into Minister Su's study room.

"Old Zhao, you can go. I will talk with her." Father dismissed the old lady and looked at me.

"Su Baise. What trouble have you caused again this time?! Kneel!"

"Father..." I answered as I knelt in front of him, my eyes glued on the floor.

I once heard that when talking to an angry person, you shouldn't meet them eye to eye because they would think that you're defying them. Instead, bow your head and look at floor, so that they will know that you're already regretting your action. If this is true or not, this is the time to test it.

"What were you up to?" Father sighed in resignation, "Aren't you tired of your silly antics?"

I continued to stare at the floor, not moving an inch.

"You're not young anymore. In fact, you're going to get married tomorrow." He reminded me.

"Father, don't you love me anymore?" I asked in a pitiful voice. I pinched my hands secretly and tears started to fall down.

"Of course, I do. You are my beloved daughter," Father seemed to soften as he saw me crying, "But I can't let you stay in the Su Manor forever."

I pinched myself harder, I think I took a flesh off. My silent crying turned into miserable sobbing because of the pain.

"Se'er, the Emperor had already made a pact with the Xu Empire. There is nothing else we can do but follow the decree." Father spoke in a serious tone. When it comes to his loyalty to the throne, family comes second.

Not wanting to lose another chunk of flesh, I wiped my tears and weakly nodded. It seemed like I really have no way out.

"I have met the young Prince Chen. He is a good man. I'm sure he will treat you well. If not, then I will personally handle him." Father laughed, trying to lighten the damp mood.

I obediently nodded. What else do I have to say when I will still end up marrying a certain Prince Chen from the Xu Empire.

"Go back to your room and rest. Tomorrow morning, you will leave for the Xu Empire." Father dismissively waved his hand. I stood up and bowed before exiting his study room.

I went straight to my room, ignoring my aching knees, and tried to sleep but I couldn't. Different emotions were swirling inside of me, trying to devour me. Sitting up, I stared at the wall blankly.

Its been a month since I transmigrated here. A month of trying to escape, a month of trying to figure out how I'll go back to my own world. And I felt tired.

Fine! Since I can't get back, then I'll just accept my new existence as Su Baise. I will make sure to have the best life in this damned world. I will make sure that I'll live well. Really, really well!

Hahahaha!

I slumped in the corner of my bed and cried.