VIII

When we arrived at the Bai Residence in the Western Border, we were warmly welcomed by the General himself. He prepared a tiny feast for us and my growling stomach was more than happy to dig in.

"Child, I'm glad you were able to come here. It was unfortunate that I was not able to attend your marriage ceremony with Lian'er." General Bai said.

I have noticed that the General looked rather frail, different from the robust figure of his portrait which I've seen back in the Chen Manor.

"General Bai, please don't worry about it." I smiled at him.

"Grandfather, how are you feeling these days?" Chen Yu Lian spoke beside me.

"Strong as ever." The old man laughed, patting his chest. But the next second, he was coughing and Chen Yu Lian was fast to bring him water.

Chen Yu Lian gestured to one of the servants, "Take Madam Chen to her room," then looked at me, "Go and rest first, I'll come see you later."

I gave Chen Yu Lian an understanding nod and followed the servant. As we were walking, I gazed at the structure of the Bai Residence. Although smaller than Chen Yu Lian's manor, it was still grand and the gardens were a sight to see.

We stopped in front of courtyard, one of the bigger ones in the residence, and the servant ushered me in. When the servant made sure that the room was satisfying for me, she left with a bow.

The room was spacious and clean. I walked towards the dresser and opened the top layer. I was surprised to see lots of accessories, from silver trinkets to gold hairpins. The lower layer were handwoven handkerchiefs. I walked toward the chests and was even more surprised to see different dresses there. Sitting on the bed, I was absorbed by my thoughts.

"Whose room is this?" I muttered to myself.

As I lifted my head, I saw a portrait of a woman hanging on the wall. Like a moth drawn to flames, my feet led me in front of it.

"So beautiful..." I gasped in admiration.

"That's my mother." A voice spoke behind me and I turned to look at Chen Yu Lian's form. His expression revealed sadness and longing but it was soon replaced by a smile.

I nodded, not really knowing what else to say. I knew Chen Yu Lian didn't want to speak about his parents and though my curiosity wanted me to dig deeper, I had to restrain myself.

"Is this your mother's room?" I asked.

"Yes. You'll stay here while we are here at the Western Border." Chen Yu Lian answered.

The room went silent as Chen Yu Lian guided me back to the bed. He sat beside me, his hand still holding mine.

"How was your grandfather?" I spoke, wanting to break the eerie silence that had taken over the room.

Chen Yu Lian sighed, "Grandfather has been sick these past days. He didn't even tell me about it, the physician was the one to tell me."

I reached out my other hand and patted Chen Yu Lian's shoulder to comfort him, "I'm sure your grandfather doesn't want to worry you that's why he did not tell you."

"I know," Chen Yu Lian laid on the bed, dragging me with him, "But I don't want to lose him too."

I stay still as Chen Yu Lian pulled me closer to his chest, his arms wrapping around me, tucking me below his chin. I was astounded at his sudden move that my heart throbbed a little faster than normal. This was the first time Chen Yu Lian initiated a close contact. He did held my hand and also hugged me, but this one was different. I bravely snaked my hand over his waist and pulled myself closer to him, "Grandfather will be okay. Don't worry." That night, we slept in each other's arms.

The next day, I woke up to find that Chen Yu Lian was already gone. The servants of Bai Manor helped me wash up and led me to the dining area.

"Did you sleep well?" Bai Long He asked me as soon as he saw me.

I smiled, "Yes General Bai."

"Come, come, let's eat." He motioned for me to join him.

I seated myself across from him. Seeing my eyes wander over the room, General Bai spoke, "Are you looking for Lian'er?"

I sheepishly nodded. Without Chen Yu Lian here, I felt awkward facing his grandfather.

"He went to the military camp early this morning. I told him I can still do my job but he won't let me leave the manor." General Bai laughed and I laughed along with him.

The meal went on with General Bai casually asking me about my former home. I graciously answered them with the very limited knowledge I had.

"Would you like to go out and see the Western Border? I will arrange an entourage for you as this old man will not be able to accompany you." General Bai offered.

"Will it be okay, General Bai?" I mused.

"Su Baise, you can call me grandfather." General Bai said, "And of course, you can go out. You will only bore yourself if you stay inside the manor. Lian'er will be staying at the military camp for a few days."

"Thank you, grandfather." I bowed my head in glee. The Bai Manor was a good place to stay and I planned on checking out the gardens but I can't pass the rare chance of going outside.

After dressing myself, I rode the carriage that was prepared for me. The servants asked me where I wanted to go and I told them to take me to a good restaurant. We ordered several dishes and made our way to the military camp.

I was worried that Chen Yu Lian was not able to eat yet so I decided to bring him food. I was also curious to see how military camps looked like.

But before we could arrive at the military camp, our carriage stopped and a servant knocked on the door. I lifted the window curtain and asked what happened.

"Madam, another carriage is heading our way and it has a royal emblem on it." The servant informed me.

A royal emblem? Which member of the royal family came to the Western Border's military camp?

The road was narrow and only one carriage can pass through. I told the servants to drive the carriage on the side area and let the other carriage go through. I quietly sat as I wait for the other carriage to pass through.

The servant knocked once again, "Madam, Prince Guangli of the Liu Empire wants to have a word with you."

"Eh?"