VI

Xiao Yu had brought me to the market area and I was completely fascinated by the sight. Food stalls are everywhere, the enticing smell that lingered in the air made my mouth watery.

I walked towards a meat bun vendor and ordered one for myself and Xiao Yu. As soon as I took a bite from the fluffy dough, the filling bursted in my mouth and I ended up ordering another one. It was so delicious that I brought a set to bring back to Chen Manor.

The whole day was spent visiting every stall that when we arrived at Chen Manor, my stomach was revolting. I quickly rushed towards my courtyard but before I could even enter the washroom, I was already kneeling down on front of a flower bed, spilling my stomach's content. Xiao Yu was rubbing my back as she ordered the maids to bring a glass of water.

I mentally scolded myself for acting like a total glutton. I was just so happy to be finally out, even if it was only a few hours of freedom, and the food was really tasty, too. Everything was still new for me and my curiosity had gotten the best out of me. No regrets, except for my aching tummy. I let out a groan as I clutched my belly, Xiao Yu assisting me back to my room.

Xiao Yu had a worried expression as she looked at my pale complexion, "Young Miss, please rest for a while. I will go and get medicine for you."

Xiao Yu came back with a diluted dark substance in her hand. She helped me drink the medicine and soon, I was feeling drowsy. The pain had subsided and I drifted off to sleep.

When I woke up, night time has already arrived. The flicker of candles lit the dark room and I heard someone whispering in the corner. I made no movements as I strained my ear to listen to what they were talking about.

"Do you think Young Miss is pregnant? I've seen her vomit this afternoon." A question.

"I haven't seen Young Master spend his night here in Young Miss' room though ever since their first night." Another one answered, her tone was mocking.

"But still, Young Master and Young Miss consummated their marriage so there is a possibility that Young Miss is pregnant. I can't wait to have little masters running around the manor soon."

I wanted to tell them I was not pregnant, that I just ate a lot but I held it back when the one with condescending tone spoke, "She better be, if not, Young Master will find another suitable mistress who will give him an heir. I can give Young Master a son if he wants."

"Di Mei!" The other maid muttered in horror.

Even I was shocked. How brazen was is this Di Mei to say such words inside my own room, and I was just a few foot away from them. I felt a knot in my stomach, it was uncomfortable.

Di Mei only scoffed as she went out of the room followed by the other maid. I pulled myself up and sat on the edge of the bed. I took in a deep breath and sighed.

With Chen Yu Lian and the people around me treating me well, I had put my walls down. I forgot how there are still people who doesn't wish for me to be happy. I will have to be extra cautious if I wanted to survive this place. Even one the lowly maids assigned to me eyes my position as Chen Manor's first wife. Not everyone is to be trusted.

I covered myself with a robe and headed outside. I needed a breath of fresh air and see if Chen Yu Lian was already home. I walked towards his study room. Approaching the guard, I asked if Chen Yu Lian was there. But to my disappointment, he didn't return home yet.

Not wanting to go back to my room, I aimlessly followed the moon and it led me to the old courtyard where I saw Mao Mao. Speaking of Mao Mao, I haven't seen the cat these past days.

Deciding to continue my little adventure the last time I came here, I pushed the door gently and it gave a creaking sound. I slowly took steps forward, letting the moon light guide me through the dim room.

"I should have taken a candle with me..." I wryly muttered as my foot bumped against a table. I crouched down to pick up the fallen vase on the floor when I noticed a trap door underneath the table. I pushed the table with force and pulled the trap door open. Stairs descending through the darkness was revealed and I felt shivers run up my spine.

"What is down there?" I whispered to the silent room.

But before my curiosity get to me, I heard footsteps approaching the room. I quickly pulled the table back to its original position and placed the vase on top of it. I was a nervous wreak, as if I discovered something I shouldn't have.

"Su Baise?" The familiar voice made me jump a bit. Composing myself, I put on a smile before turning to face Chen Yu Lian. His face was rigid and cold.

"Your highness, you're back." I managed to speak without stuttering.

"What are you doing here?" He answered. I don't know if it was just me but he sounded suspicious.

"I couldn't sleep so I decided to walk around and I ended up here."

Well, it was the truth. I didn't mean to discover the trap door, too. It was by an accident.

"I see." Chen Yu Lian said, his tensed stance finally softening, as he reached for my hand, "Let's go."

I nodded and obediently followed him as he led me back to my own courtyard. I didn't bother asking him about the old courtyard, afraid that I will touch a sore subject.

"Are you still feeling unwell?" Chen Yu Lian asked, breaking the awkward silence between us.

"I feel better now. Xiao Yu gave me medicine." I answered.

"Good."

As we entered my room, I sat on my bed as I watched him kneel in front of me.

"Su Baise, you can go anywhere inside the manor but..." Chen Yu Lian paused for a second as his eyes met mine, "Don't go near that courtyard again. Understand?"

I searched his face and all I can find was the seriousness in it, gone was that warm and welcoming smile.

I nodded, "En."

"Good."

As Chen Yu Lian left me after tucking me to bed like I was a child, I couldn't help but think about the old courtyard. Questions flooded me. Who? What? Why?

Who used to live there?

No one in the Chen Manor mentioned anything about it. Even Xiao Yu, who had stayed the longest at the Chen Manor never told me about the old courtyard.

What is he hiding there?

When Chen Yu Lian came to find me at the old courtyard, I noticed him eyeing the trapdoor behind me. It was also the first time I saw him that way, I couldn't even explain it in words.

Why? Just why?

I know I should heed Chen Yu Lian's words but something about that place was pulling me, like an invisible force luring me in.

I needed to know.