X

The rest of the time at the Western Norder went by like a breeze. General Bai Long He was a nice man and treated me like his own granddaughter. He wasn't feeling well when I got there, but with all the herbal medicine and tonic Chen Yu Lian had brought, he seemed to be getting better and better.

I unwillingly said goodbye to him as we went back to the Imperial Capital. I don't know but for some reason, I liked living at the Western Border more than the Imperial Capital. But we had to go back since Chen Yu Lian's assignment was done there and he had to report back to the emperor.

Back in my own courtyard, along with Xiao Yu, we fixed all the stuff I got from the Western Border into my own dresser. I had brought several dresses and hair accessories which General Bai had given to me.

"Young Miss, how was your stay at the Western Border?" Xiao Yu asked me.

"I loved it there..." I admitted with a smile and added, "General Bai treated me well. You were right. He is indeed a kind man."

I didn't hear Xiao Yu answer so I turned around to see what she was doing. On her hand was a hairpin which the General Bai had given me.

"Isn't it pretty?" I walked towards her.

Xiao Yu who was lost in her thought laid the hairpin down and replied, "Y-yes."

I noticed that tears started to well in her eyes. I was about to comfort her but she quickly excused herself and went out of my room. I could only sigh as I picked up the hairpin.

The hairpin was Bai Fan's belonging which her father gave to me. I knew that Xiao Yu was Bai Fan's personal maid and that they grew together. Seeing her mistress' hairpin must have made Xiao Yu emotional.

During my stay at the Western Border, I have heard nothing but good things about Bai Fan. I'm starting to have doubts about her character as a villain and seeing that the plot didn't seem to match what I have read about the story, I'm becoming more and more confused.

I finished fixing everything as I know Xiao Yu won't be coming back for a while. I sat near the window and stared outside. It was the afternoon and the world outside looked quite peaceful.

Sitting there, I suddenly remembered something. I need to go back to the old courtyard I discovered at the corner of the manor. I was not able to check it out these past few days but now that Chen Yu Lian is out, I thought that it was the perfect time to go there. My guts say that it has something to do with the list I've found in Chen Yu Lian's desk back at the military camp.

I took Mao Mao with me. The cat would be a perfect alibi if I got caught inside the old courtyard. I would just tell them that I was looking for my cat who sneakily went inside.

I made my way to the old courtyard, making sure that no one noticed me. If a servant would walk by, I would bend and act like I was smelling the flowers beside the path. After a few minutes of walking, I finally arrived at the location. I glanced at my surroundings for one last time and entered the room.

Nothing changed, just like how I remembered it. The place was still squeaky clean. New batch of flowers adorned the vases and its fragrance enveloped the room. I set down Mao Mao and coaxed her to stay still. Mao Mao seemed to understand me and found a spot at the bookshelves to sleep. I immediately moved towards the trap door I've found and opened it.

I took a deep breath, having second thoughts of descending the stairs in front of me. With a sigh of resolution, I cowardly made my way down. Thank goodness there were oil lamps along the way as I was scared of the darkness.

Finally arrived at the bottom of the stairs, I was faced with a long corridor and at the end of it was a door. As I walked nearer, my heart started to race.

Just thinking about what was behind that door triggered my imagination. Different thoughts invaded my mind.

A treasure room, maybe?

Or a hidden dungeon just like what I've read from my books before?

Would dead bodies greet me when I open the door? Zombies? Undead? Witches?

No, don't scare yourself!

I shakily reached for the door handle and when I twisted it, it didn't budge.

"Of course, it's locked." I snorted.

I looked around to look for keys but I saw nothing. Just the empty corridor.

"Where do people usually put there keys?" I muttered to myself as I went back upstairs.

I scoured the whole room, making sure to remember the original spot of the things I moved.

"Not here."

I walked towards the cabinet, "Not here either."

After awhile, I still haven't found the keys so I decided to give up for today and just continue the search tomorrow.

I went back to the trap door and was about to close it when something caught my eye. Inside the flower vase which covered the trap door was the key.

"Found you!" I quickly grabbed the key and ran downstairs.

Facing the door, I took in a deep breath and reach for the handle. I inserted the key and when I heard the lock click, my heart stopped to beat for a second.

There's no turning back now.

I pushed the door open.