II

Old Zhao was with me inside the carriage. She will accompany me to the Xu Empire but will also leave after my wedding.

"Young Miss, are you listening to me?" She waved her hands in front of me to get my attention.

"Yes." I answered, even though I wasn't really listening. I was caught up with my own thoughts that whatever she said passed through one ear and out the other ear.

"As I was saying, the Xu Empire is under Emperor Chen Heng Li. He ascended the throne eighteen years ago after his fa-"

I raised my hand to stop Old Zhao, my eyes widened hearing the familiar name, "Did you say Emperor Chen Heng Li?"

Old Zhao nodded in confirmation.

"Is the Empress named Ming Shu?" I asked with interest, finally willing to listen to what Old Zhao was talking about.

"Oh, you meant Empress Shu Ming An. Not Ming Shu." Old Zhao corrected me.

I tried to recall the book "The Prince and the Peasant." One of the characters there is named Shu Ming An, one of the female villains along with Bai Fan. How did she become the empress? What about Ming Shu?

Suspicions started to arise inside of me. I looked at Old Zhao and questioned her, "Does the Xu Emperor have siblings?"

"Yes, the Emperor Chen Heng Li have siblings. Two brothers to be exact." Old Zhao informed me.

"Are they named First Prince Chen Mu and Second Prince Chen Hui?" My heart was beating fast.

"Young Miss is knowledgeable." Old Zhao smiled approvingly. She was happy that I had some knowledge regarding the Xu Empire.

I leaned my back against the carriage wall as I tried to take in the information. Did I transmigrate inside a novel? Most likely.

"Which prince am I marrying then? The First Prince or the Second Prince?" I queried. I didn't care about it at first but now, I was interested to know.

Old Zhao stared at me in surprise, "Young Miss, you're marrying the First Prince's son, Prince Chen Yu Lian."

Old Zhao mentioned that Chen Heng Li ascended the throne eighteen years ago. So it was not surprising to know that First Prince Chen Mu already has a son. Not much was mentioned about the First Prince Chen Mu in the novel so I was intrigued about meeting him and my future husband.

The ride went on for several hours. Old Zhao continued to lecture me about the Xu Empire's history and way of life. But I ended up sleeping before she could discuss about the First Prince.

I was awakened by Old Zhao when we were in front of the Chen Manor. I lifted the curtain slightly and saw the auspicious banners hanging in front the Manor. Firecrackers were set in the distance and the loud chattering of the gathered crowd added to the festive mood.

"Young Miss, sit properly." Old Zhao nudged me as she covered my head with a red veil. She gave me one last hug before going out of the carriage. A palanquin was brought in front of the carriage and I reluctantly entered it. Then I was carried inside the Manor.

I felt my body tremble, my knees weakening, as they laid the palanquin on the ground. The realization that everything is real and I'm actually getting married hit me hard making me feel nauseous.

The palanquin's curtain was raised and a hand was stretched out to me. I bit my lower lip and with a deep breath, I took the hand and was led out of the palanquin. I wanted to raise my head to look at the man who I was going to marry me, but I decided against it.

The wedding ceremony was rather fast and the next thing I know, I was already waiting at the wedding chamber. A slightly older woman, which I guessed was a maid in the Chen Manor, had kept me company.

"Young Miss, from now on, I will be serving you." She politely spoke and I nodded in response.

"Young Miss must be tired from the long journey. Would you like to have some tea?" She asked, feeling my lack of energy.

"Yes, please."

She took the ceramic cup and poured fragrant tea on it. She approached me, helped me raise the veil, just enough to reveal my mouth, and handed me the cup.

"Thank you." I muttered after sipping on the fragrant tea, "Do you have a name?"

The maid smiled, "Young Miss, this servant's name is Xiao Yu."

"Xiao Yu..." I repeated. Her name rolled of my tongue easily, "You have a nice name."

"Young Miss, do not flatter this servant." She laughed.

I can't help but smile. Xiao Yu seemed like a genuinely good person. Living in this Manor, I was relieved to know that I have at least one person whom I can trust.

"Young Miss, the Young Master will be here soon. I will take my leave." Xiao Yu bowed and left the room.

The room was once again engulfed by suffocating silence. The only thing you could hear was the silver chimes creating a melodious noise as the wind passed by.

I can't take it anymore.

I took off my veil and walked towards the table where the ceremonial wine was served. I generously poured the alcoholic drink and took a swig. Emptying the cup, I poured another one. Then another one.

When I heard footsteps coming to my room, I quickly ran towards the bed and placed the veil back to head. I made sure to correct my posture as I clamped both my hands on top of my legs.

The door opened and I felt someone enter the room. That person started to walk in my direction but stopped when he heard a sudden noise.

Hic! Hic!

Is my luck really the worst? I haven't even drunk that much and I'm already having hiccups.

"Raise your veil." I heard the man spoke.

With the boost of the alcohol, I courageously raised my veil, stopping midway when a spoon entered my mouth. I was about to slap it off but the taste of sweet honey invaded my taste buds.

"It will help get rid of your hiccup."

I obediently ate the honey as I patiently waited for his next move. What now?