VII

The next day, I woke up early so I could catch Chen Yu Lian before he leaves for the court. Luckily, I was able to do so.

I cautiously observed him and was relieved to know that he was back to his usual self, the kind and charming man I knew of. Unlike the distant and intimidating man I have met last night.

As we eat, we had a casual conversation about my little trip to the marketplace with Xiao Yu. I happily narrated to him about all the new food I had tasted, well, except for me vomiting on his flower bed.

During our entire conversation, not once did he mention about the old courtyard where he found me. It was like he had forgotten about it or he was intentionally not bringing it up. Though my curiosity was slowly eating me, I didn't dare mention the said place as it may ruin the harmonious bond we had.

"I will be heading to the Western Border tomorrow," Chen Yu Lian informed after chewing the last piece of meat in his plate, "Would you like to come?"

My eyes widened in surprise, "Really? I can go with you?"

Seeing my reaction, Chen Yu Lian nodded with a smile, confirming it to me.

"How long are we staying there? I need to know how many clothes I need to pack." I asked, excitement was clear in my voice.

"Three days." He answered.

"Your highness, thank you!" I expressed my gratitude with so much intensity that it even made Chen Yu Lian laugh. I was very happy that I'll be able to travel somewhere and not spending my time rotting in my own room.

"You must have been bored staying in the manor alone so a change of atmosphere might be good for you." Chen Yu Lian said as he placed his chopsticks down.

"You're the best husband ever!" I blurted out.

"I'm your only husband so you really have no choice." Chen Yu Lian joked and I laughed along with him.

"I wanted to stay to accompany you but I need to report to the Emperor." Chen Yu Lian excused himself as he stood up from his chair.

"I understand." I also stood up from my chair and followed him towards the manor's gate. A luxurious carriage was already waiting for him and I watched him enter it.

The surge of my emotions ran through me like adrenaline as I shouted for Chen Yu Lian before the guard could close the carriage door, "Your highness, wait!"

He peeked through the open door and when he saw me approaching, he climbed down from it, "Is there anything wrong?"

When we were close, I grabbed his shoulders for support as I tiptoed and placed a kiss on his cheeks. I felt him stiffen as I awkwardly took my hands back to my side. The adrenaline-like motion that was courating through my body just moments ago was drained and I felt my knees weaken from my action.

"Your highness, stay safe." I said with my head lowered, I couldn't even look him in the eye.

His hand cupped my chin and raised my head so that he can look into my eyes. Then I felt his soft lips pressed against mine as I stared back at him.

"You too," He released me and entered his carriage.

When he was out of sight, I let out a squeal as I touched my lips with my fingers. Someone cleared his throat and I was awakened from my dazed state, "Young Miss, please go back inside."

I gave the guard a shy bow and rushed inside the manor, ignoring the teasing looks the servants were giving me.

As I sat on my bed, my mind wheeled back to Chen Yu Lian. Whatever gave me the courage to do what I did, I couldn't decipher but when I gave him a kiss, it just felt right. And when he kissed me, it also felt right. Maybe I was just thankful towards him? Who knows...

I breathed in as I tried to calm myself but I ended up grinning like a fool.

"Young Miss, it seems like you're in a good mood." Xiao Yu spoke and I was startled. I didn't even notice her enter the room.

"Xiao Yu, how did you enter the room?"

Xiao Yu gave me a confused look as she pointed at the door, "Through the door?"

"I'm sorry I didn't notice you." I apologized, ashamed that she might have seen me in my stupid state.

"Young Miss, its no problem. I'm here to help you pack your things for your trip." Xiao Yu smiled as she pulled a large chest underneath my bed.

"Xiao Yu, have you been to the Western Border?" I inquired.

"Young Miss, this servant is originally from the Western Border. I grew up there." She answered. I saw the flicker of longing in her eyes but it was gone in an instant.

"Xiao Yu, you mentioned before that Young Master's grandfather lives in the Western Border." I remembered Xiao Yu talk about it once.

Will Chen Yu Lian's mother be there? I still have my doubts about Bai Fan as she was the story's villain but seeing Chen Yu Lian, maybe she wasn't that bad after all? I wanted to ask Xiao Yu but it was a taboo to talk about Chen Yu Lian's parents.

"You are correct, Young Miss."

"Are we going to meet him?" I asked, once again.

"Young Miss, although the Young Master has his own residence in the Western Border, he always preferred staying at his grandfather's manor." Xiao Yu informed me.

Xiao Yu have noticed the change in my expression and she gave me a reassuring pat, "Young Miss, if you're worried about Young Master's grandfather, then you shouldn't. General Bai Long He is kind man."

I could only nod as my excitement was pushed down and was replaced by a creeping anxiety. I just wish that our trip to the Western Border would be peaceful.