IX

Sitting across Prince Guangli inside my carriage, I was anxious and fidgety. I had no idea who he was and the way he stared at me made me feel a bit uncomfortable.

"Se Se, how have you been?" He spoke, his eyes not leaving mine.

Se Se?

"Prince Guangli, I am doing fine." I answered.

"I'm sorry I was not able to stop your marriage. The king had already given a edict and I can't-" I cut him off.

"Prince Guangli, do we know each other?"

Prince Guangli's expression turned sour upon hearing my words. He sighed, "I don't blame you if you are mad at me. But please, don't pretend like we don't know each other."

"Prince Guangli, I have no idea about what you're talking about." I said and it was the truth. Aside from the novel plot and characters on it, I have no knowledge of anything else.

"Se Se..." Prince Guangli reached out his hand to touch me but I instinctively leaned backwards. He pulled his hand back and tightened it to a fist.

"If I take you away from here, will you come with me?" The rejected look he had was replaced by a determined gaze.

"Prince Guangli, I am a married woman. Please don't say such things." I glared at him. I don't know what he and the past Su Baise had before but wasn't he trying to cause trouble?

"Se Se, listen to me. I will take you away from here-"

"Prince Guangli, stop calling me 'Se Se.' If you don't have anything else to say, please leave. My husband is waiting for me." I spoke in a serious tone, ignoring the deadly stare he was giving me.

Prince Guangli sighed once again, "I'll leave for now. But I'm going to come back and take you away from him. You're mine."

He stood up and left the carriage.

"Miss, the other carriage already left. Shall we continue?" A servant asked from the outside.

"Yes, let's go." I managed to answer without stuttering. Prince Guangli had left me trembling with his words.

You're mine?

When we arrived at the military camp, we were stopped at the gates. A soldier came to inquire about us and let us through when he heard I was Chen Yu Lian's wife.

As I entered the tent assigned to Chen Yu Lian, I was surprised to see Prince Mo Li as well.

"Hello there! Its nice to see you again my nephew's pretty wife!" He was about to land a kiss on my cheek but his lips landed on Chen Yu Lian's nose instead.

"Uncle, please behave." Chen Yu Lian reminded his uncle and pulled me towards his side.

"You really are Chen Mu's son, so sting with their wives!" Prince Mo Li snorted.

"Riu..." Chen Yu Lian sighed.

I couldn't help but gasp as a man wearing an all black outfit suddenly appeared out of nowhere and kneeled in front of us.

"Riu! I missed you!" Prince Mo Li happily pulled the unfamiliar man towards him and enveloped him in a tight embrace, also rubbing his cheeks against the other man's cheek.

I stood there with my mouth open as I don't know how else I should react.

What did I just witness?

"Uncle, we'll continue talking later." Chen Yu Lian told his uncle then turned to the other man in the tent, "Riu, please guide uncle back to his tent."

As soon as Chen Yu Lian finished his order and before Prince Mo Li could answer back, he was flung on on the man named Riu's shoulder and was brought out of tent.

All I could hear was Prince Mo Li's, "This is the military camp! Put me down! My dignity! Riuuuuu!"

I turned to look at Chen Yu Lian who was as calm as ever, "Are you sure your uncle is okay?"

"Yes." He nodded.

"Okay..."

Remembering the basket I was holding, I went to the table and brought out the food, "Come and eat. I know you haven't eaten anything yet."

Chen Yu Lian didn't say anything and sat in front of me. I quietly watched him eat and poured water for him.

"That was delicious. Thank you." He smiled, "I have to check something else, will it be okay for you to stay here for a bit? I will be back as soon as I can."

I nodded and let him go.

I stood up and looked around inside the tent. There was a large map hanging on a stand, there were blue and red marks across it. I moved towards the display of swords and armors, I carefully touched the metal and pulled back my hand it left my fingerprint on it. I quickly reached inside my sleeve but my handkerchief wasn't there. Thankfully, there was a piece of cloth which looked like a rag on the table. I went to get it but my eyes caught something interesting. It was a list.

"What is this?"

On the list were names of people she doesn't know of, each one crossed out. A few uncrossed ones were left on the bottom.

Behind the list was another list. This time, it was a list of books and under it were the some of the books written on the list.

"Life and Death?"

"Lost Souls?"

"The Undead?"

"Bringing Back the Dead to Life..."

What is all these books?

For some reason, I felt a shiver run up my spine. I immediately put the list back to its place and ran to where I was seated awhile back when I heard incoming footsteps.

It was Chen Yu Lian.

"I'm back." He announced.

"You're- You're back." I tried to smile.

He looked at me with concern, "Are you feeling alright?"

I bit my inner cheek to stop myself from stuttering, "Of course."

But Chen Yu Lian didn't seem to believe me.