Chapter 5

5.

Nasir's car was a 1992 Toyota Corolla. It looked like it had weathered a lot of storms. I wasn't sure it would weather the storm we were about to drive into, but it looked in better shape than my car. Its doors could open from the inside.

We jumpstarted the car using one of Ross' cars. He was clueless on what to do and handed me the cables as soon as Nasir told him where they were. The car came to life and the engine roared. To be safe we added more gas into the tank than the car had. After my experience I didn't want to be stuck in the middle of nowhere...with Ross.

Ross couldn't leave without breakfast and honestly neither could I. He also couldn't leave without attending to a few conference calls. The trip was postponed for a few hours because Nasir theorized the weather would be much calmer by then. I had a feeling he was tactically delaying the trip. The delay worked but he didn't achieve what he wanted. By seven o'clock that night Ross still wanted to go with me.

We couldn't delay the trip any longer. The end of the day was looming and I reminded Ross if the guy found me at the house he'd leave no witnesses. Even that didn't dissuade him from going, but we finally got onto the road.

The weather was calmer like Nasir said. It was still raining heavily but the fierce winds were totally gone. Ross managed to stay quiet for two seconds.

"So...why do you owe this guy money?" He was sitting on the passenger seat next to me. The only sounds in the car had been the audible wipers and the tires as they raced down a wet road, and of course the rain outside.

"Shut up," I said firmly.

"I think I have a right to know," he said massaging his hands. "It is my money you have in that bag after all."

"It's a long story," I said.

"I don't have anywhere to be," he whispered, biting his lip.

I took a frustrated breath. I could push him out of the car, run him over a couple of times and throw him into a ditch somewhere. It would solve a lot of my problems.

...except, Nasir knew my full name and I was no doubt on a lot of camera footage still at the house. I wouldn't just be in jail for stealing, but for killing. I'd live in fear of dropping the soap every single day.

"If I tell you will you shut up?"

"I'll consider it," he said. "Tell me."

"I once had a penchant for expensive things and I borrowed a lot of money to feed my...taste. I happened to borrow from the wrong people," I said.

"Somehow I don't believe that story," he said. "You're hiding something."

I shrugged. "I don't really care what you believe Ross."

"Why do you insist on being such a mystery? I can help you Seb," he murmured. I noticed he wasn't even looking at me but outside.

I felt the anger mounting from my stomach, ready to sink its claws onto my words and hold on for dear life at the thought of the name Seb. It was nothing but a name, right? Yet, the thought of it poisoned the very air I breathed.

I gave him a quick look. "Don't call me Seb," I spat. "You're helping me enough already."

"Sebby? Bastian? Babe?"

I shot him a glare. "Sebastian will do just fine."

"Are you angry? You sound angry," he said.

"I'm not angry. I'm...annoyed. I need you to stop talking," I said.

"You don't like talking much, do you?"