Chapter 26

26.

My quesadilla looked and tasted delicious. The aroma was mouthwatering. I knew Nasir and Ross would love them. I placed three servings neatly on each plate. I made sure to clean the mess I created. Presentation mattered. Honestly I was on edge about Nasir's meeting with Ross so I concentrated too hard on the quesadillas. It was a good distraction.

I'd made a lot of servings so I took one and dipped it in sour sauce and took it into my mouth. I had my mouth full when Nasir walked in. He looked sullen.

"How did it go?"

He shook his head. "I don't know."

"You didn't tell him?"

"Stop talking with your mouth full Sebastian," he said.

I chewed faster and swallowed. "So...what happened?"

"I told him," he said.

"And...? Do I have to drag it out of you?" I said.

He took a seat on the high-chairs. "He...left." He sounded like he still couldn't believe what happened.

"What do you mean he left?"

"He said okay and left the room. I saw the car drive off," he explained.

"Where did he go?"

"How am I supposed to know? As I told you, he said okay and he left," he said. The frustration was evident in his voice.

"That doesn't sound...right. Do you think he's okay?"

He shrugged. "I don't know."

I put the piece of quesadilla I still had in my hand on a plate. My heart was beating uncomfortably. All sorts of scenarios came into my head and all included Ross getting hurt. His reaction was bizarre. He locked himself in his office when he was upset. Taking off was unsettling.

"Do you think I should look for him, maybe? Call the police..." I said.

"Good luck with the police taking you seriously," he mumbled.

"Nasir why aren't you worried?!" I yelled. "Are you pissed that he just said okay? You can't possibly think he's okay despite what he said."

"I am not pissed. I feel like crap, both physically and emotionally. Just because I don't yell out my pain doesn't mean I don't feel it," he said.

"Right, you're the kind to hide the pain. You and Ross are more like father and son than I thought. He's obviously hiding his pain too. He can hide his pain when I know he's safe," I said and walked out of the kitchen.

I had no idea where I would start looking for Ross. I didn't have to. The moment I opened the door I saw his car pull up in front of the house. He didn't bother taking it to the garage. He got off and walked towards me.

I sighed in relief.

"Where did you go? I...Nasir was worried," I said, tripping over my words. I couldn't let him know I was worried. As far as he knew, I didn't even like him.

"I went to the bank," he said simply. "Follow me."

He walked past me and into the house. I followed him to his office, wondering why the first thing he thought of doing after finding out Nasir was dying was going to the bank. Surely he didn't think money would save Nasir? The thought of that pained me. I really hoped he didn't have such hope. It would hurt massively when that hope was yanked away.

I walked into his office and closed the door. He sat at his desk, putting the satchel he had with him on the desk. There was silence.

"Nasir told me he told y-" I broke the silence and he cut in.