Chapter 17

17.

It was silly. It was the silliest thing I had ever thought of doing. I couldn't believe I had let Nasir talk me into it. Well, actually, he hadn't talked me into it. He'd suggested it. I was carrying out my silly idea on my own. Of course if it failed I'd still blame Nasir.

Ross hadn't talked to me in three days. He suddenly didn't drink coffee anymore. I wouldn't drink coffee anymore either if it tried to kill me, but that's not the point. He wanted nothing from me. He handled his own correspondence. I'd log in and see that he'd replied to his emails all by himself, without me! I felt lost. I wanted to reply to his emails and call him just to tell him to call someone. I wanted to clear up his desk.

Fuck! I had Stockholm syndrome.

I was tired of waiting for him to forgive me. It was time to be proactive. I went online and surfed through Ebay and Amazon. I found all sorts of pin-back buttons, some so expensive they had to be made from Vibranium or some shit like that. I wasn't sure what I was looking for, but I found something I thought he'd like. I begrudgingly made the purchase and hoped Nasir was right or I'd stab him with the pin.

My purchase arrived only two days later. Ross was still mute so I was glad I didn't have to wait long. I knew I could just apologize using words, but I'd tried that already. Third time wouldn't be the charm. So I resorted to a silly idea based on advice from an old man. It was going to blow up in my face.

Ross was in his office. Sometimes I wondered if he was still alive, considering that he barely ate or drank anything...or he did it while I was asleep just to torture me. Well, it was absolutely working. I was a tortured soul.

It didn't make any sense whatsoever but I found myself knocking on his door that night. After a few quiet days it was raining heavily again. I could hear the rain hitting his office window. I wondered how he could even concentrate. What on earth was he doing in there?

He didn't respond to my knocking.

"Ross come on, open up," I said pleadingly.

"The door is not locked," his voice came from inside the room.

I pushed the door open tentatively. Ross was sitting at his desk, his hair supposedly defying gravity. He looked like he wasn't sleeping lately. Neither was I.

"Are you working on something?"

"Yeah."

"I'm sorry about the other day. I didn't mean to spill the coffee or...I'm really sorry."

"That's fine," he said quietly.

"You still sound mad," I pointed out.

"I back up everything that's on my laptop. You're not the first person to spill coffee on one of my laptops. You are the first person to spill coffee on me, but I'm not mad. And you taking off my pants, well...I kind of liked the shock on their faces," he said.

"Wait, you're not mad?"

"No!"

"Why didn't you say so?" My voice was competing with the rain. I was winning.

"I needed to?"

"Yes! You've been holed up in here for five days. I was going crazy. I even freaking bought you something," I yelled.

"I was a bit mad but I got over it. I didn't think you were going crazy. You seemed fine when I saw you."

"I seemed fine?" I said. "Are you crazy? I was squirming the whole time after the incident. I almost left this house."