Chapter 7

7.

Sebastian

Nasir was waiting for us at the house. The main door opened the moment the Corolla turned onto the property. The bright light of the entryway was visible through the old windshield and the rain soaking it. The light reflected on the wet asphalt of the driveway, creating beautiful apricot spots. Even from the distance and on the driver seat of the car I could see Nasir's disapproving face.

I drove past the main door towards the garage. As soon as the car was in and the door had closed behind us I turned to Ross.

"I know I stole your money and I'm sorry. I know I've agreed to be your personal assistant, but I have rules. I'm not your friend. I don't really want to be here but I have no choice. I will do what you want, but my life is none of your business. Stay out of it," I said clearly.

He turned to me slowly and smiled, "Noted." Even though he wasn't looking directly at me, I caught a glimpse of his eyes. There was something I didn't like there. His eyes were narrowed and his upper-lip slightly raised at the corner. He was taking the whole thing as a challenge.

There was silence between us. I was waiting for him to say something, to defy me.

He crossed his arms and smirked. "You seem like you're waiting for something."

I couldn't trust him. I knew I couldn't trust him but I chose to let it go.

We got out of the car and entered the house through the interior garage door. It led directly into the kitchen where Nasir was waiting for us. He'd probably run to the kitchen from the front door as soon as I drove the car past him.

"Hi Nasir," Ross greeted him.

"Are you okay?" the concern for Ross in Nasir's voice was unmistakable.

"Yeah. I told you he'd come back," Ross said.

Nasir shot me a look of distaste. "Excuse me for not trusting a thief."

"He's going to make up for all of that, right Seb?" Ross said putting his arm lightly around my shoulders.

I internally cringed at the contact and the name. My immediate thought of action was to tell Ross off for calling me what I explicitly told him not to call me, but I decided against it. I didn't want to give Nasir any more reason to hate my guts. Instead I stood there with my blood boiling and nodded.

"We'll see about that," Nasir said. He didn't sound at all hopeful or convinced. "I'll start on dinner," he said and left us to go to the pantry.

"Don't mind him. He doesn't trust anyone," Ross said dismissively and started walking. "Come on, I bet there's something good on TV. I still have to brief you on your duties as my personal assistant."

I moaned slightly and followed him out of the kitchen and through the grand door at the end of the hallway. I couldn't fathom how I'd gotten myself into such a mess. My mother believed I was in college. Instead I was a lackey for a quirky genius with questionable manners.

Admittedly, it was a good bargain. So I was going to wait on him hand and foot and end up despising myself in the process, but I was temporarily safe from money-hungry gangsters and jail.

Anyway, it was not like I had a choice.

=

I woke up to the sound of rain pelting the roof and the window violently. The storm had intensified the previous night and that morning it was still raining heavily. I released an involuntary yawn and stretched my arms to shake off the grogginess.