Chapter 42

42.

Ross

He'd come back.

I'd longed to see him again.

I could only focus on him.

My problems with filtering information ran back to the first time I was able to receive information. I heard a lot more than I wanted to and my eyes wandered everywhere without focusing on anything. Focusing on anything that wasn't software was something I had to actively do, actively remind myself to do.

Shuffling the Rubik's cube wasn't a result of hyperactivity. It was a means to focus. It was almost like parts of my brain had to be occupied for me to be able to be able to zero in on something. Nasir always said I had two brains.

There were moments I didn't have to actively bring my mind back to focus and these were few and far in-between. Lately they were often.

Sebastian didn't always capture all of my attention but sometimes he had the ability to capture all of the wandering neurons in my body such that I could only see him. I could only hear him. I didn't need to distract my senses. He was all the distraction I needed.

He wasn't the first person to do that but he did it a lot. There was just something magnetic about him, something powerful that had my heart telling my brain to stop and it listened. When he stood in my kitchen whispering my name, it was that moment.

I stared into pools of mud so dark it was nearing pure blackness. I'd looked into those eyes before but they'd never looked like that. They were mesmerizing, inciting a flutter in my tummy that had my breath catching.

"I-I've fallen in love with you"

My eyes didn't see him pronounce the words, focused on his eyes. My ears heard the words and my brain interpreted them. I was stunned. I could only look at him.

The words reverberated in my brain slowly but gained enough speed to sound jumbled up. I could hear them but I couldn't understand them anymore.

How could he love me?

"I've gone through it over and over again. I've analyzed it from every angle I could think of and the finding remains the same; I am utterly in love with you. I can't tell you what it is I love because you are not the sum of your parts...god, does that make sense?" he said. When I just looked at him he continued.

"I'm sorry for telling you at a moment like this. Thing is I've been thinking that time is short and I can't continue living life without letting you know that through all the stupid conversations and spontaneous adventures, I tripped and fell madly in love with you. I didn't like you when I came here the first time. I thought you were some wealthy bastard living in a fictional world with no sense for danger and just...plain weird. I still think you're weird... I mean quirky," He chuckled slightly. "But I love you and your quirks. I love that you're crazy and spontaneous and even selfish at times."

There was a pause.

"I don't really know why I love you, but I wouldn't have it any other way," he said and fished out something from his jacket pocket.

He placed two pinback buttons side-by-side on the kitchen counter.

Crazy about you, James Bond

He was saying everything I wanted to hear. His words didn't just end up in my brain; they ended up in my heart where they wrecked peaceful havoc. My heart swelled and bathed in his confession, impatiently waiting for the moment it would wreck just as much havoc in his.