Chapter 18

18.

The sun was shining brightly since I'd set foot at the Mitchell Mansion. There was not a cloud in sight. It looked like the rain was gone once and for all. It was a nice afternoon. For once I could walk around in just a tank-top without a sweatshirt on. I'd intentionally put on the tank-top just to soak up the sun. I wasn't necessarily a fan of warm weather but after weeks of no sun, I could use some natural heat.

Nasir was in the house making lunch. Ross was inside too. He'd taken a nap after we'd snuck in a quickie after breakfast. I honestly couldn't see how Nasir hadn't figured out what was going on between us. I suspected he knew and wasn't saying anything.

I spent the afternoon trying to wash my car on the driveway. We'd towed it in after a few days of it getting drowned in rain. I'd forgotten about its existence but decided that day I'd make it look at least presentable. It was my only valuable possession, though no one would buy it. The driver door only opened from the outside, the front passenger door had to be wrestled with and the windows were stuck in a half-open position. It made rattling sounds and sometimes squealed. The paint was peeling off and looked shoddy on some parts. To add insult to injury, the rain had left it smelling funky. The Toyota Camry XV40 2009 model had seen its better days, and those weren't with me.

It was hard to clean a car whose doors you couldn't open. The smell made me nauseous. It was clear there was fungi hidden somewhere in it and I ran the risk of getting myself sick for real. Maybe it was best left to the professionals.

I had just given up when I heard the sound of an engine approaching the driveway. I looked up to see a beautiful sedan pulling up just outside the house. A man and a woman got out. I watched as they knocked on the door. They knocked several times with no answer. I bet Nasir was sleeping somewhere. He'd been neglecting some of his duties lately, like failing to notice there was absolutely no cheese in the house. I wanted grilled cheese sandwiches.

I hoisted the towel I was carrying on my shoulder and walked towards the door. The man and woman turned to me as soon as I appeared in their periphery.

"Good afternoon. Welcome to Mitchell mansion. Are you looking for Mr. Mitchell?" I greeted and asked politely.

The women looked me up and down. She had a long nose, I noticed. It looked kind of familiar; the nose, the face didn't.

"Who the hell are you? Are you the mechanic?"

"Uh...no mam, I'm Mr. Mitchell's PA."

They both burst out laughing. The woman sounded like she was cackling and the man sounded like he needed a new lung. Their laugh was mocking and I bet that was their intention.

"A PA?" the woman exclaimed. "I told you your son is crazy," she reminded the man.

"And yet we love him and his craziness," the man said, nudging the woman slightly.

"Of course," the woman said. She addressed me. "So tell me, where is my son?"

"Your son...?" I said, my confusion evident in my voice in case they didn't get my facial expression.

Ross told me his parents died when he was four and if Nasir was their son I needed to know what their anti-aging secret was. They looked to be in their early fifties. And...wasn't Nasir Arab?

"Ross! Ross is our son," the woman said. "What kind of PA are you?"

Personal assistant: limited edition at your service.

"I will let him know you're here," I said opening the door and letting them in. They looked around like they were shopping, with ogling eyes.

I left them in the entryway and ran up the stairs, bursting into Ross's room. He was still sleeping peacefully despite the fact I threw open his door. I didn't want to wake him up but I had a feeling if I didn't return with him I'd be hanged or burned at the stake.