Chapter Seven

My other book, Two Mates, has officially ended! It was such a fun book to write, but I'm sad it's over. On the bright side, I'll be able to update this story more often :)

Aidan's POV
I'd accidentally created a shadow.

For the rest of the day, Finn would find ridiculous reasons to text me. He began by asking me to reexplain the Lewis Dot Structures, which a sixth grader could figure out. Then he wanted to know what had gotten me into chemistry in the first place, so I had to break it to him that I was only in it for the money. After that, he was adamant on learning what my favorites were: favorite element, favorite chemist, favorite reaction, etc. The more I talked to him, the less I ever wanted to talk about chemistry ever again.

At the end of the day, it was clear why he'd spent so much time buttering me up. He send me the message, Soooo...um my friend Jerry (he told me to remind you that he's the one who called you daddy??) brought a car to Prov... and since you sent us home in an Uber we have no way to get it?

He'd been subtly guilt tripping me about saving his friend's asses all day. I still wasn't quite sure why, but I got the feeling that he was the messenger for at least two other people's concerns.

Well, it wasn't my goal to shoot him, so I decided to play nice. Bummer :(

Did the frowny face help? I wasn't sure. College kids used emojis and Finn was a college kid, so I decided to keep it.

Finn Evans: ....

Me: ?

Finn Evans: do you have any suggestions? On how to get the car?

Me: I am your chemistry professor. I'm sure you have many other trustworthy adults you can turn to in this time of adversity.

Finn Evans: :(

Finn Evans: not really

Finn Evans: plus i am an adult and jerry is too kinda

Finn Evans: so do you have a car?

Finn Evans: Aidan?

Finn Evans: is it cuz of my text talk? I can type better if it'll soothe ur college professor heart

This boy was quickly becoming a distraction. I'd focused on little else all day. I'd woken up, texted Liam to see if he was okay, answered Finn's texts, and eaten breakfast with Jack. Then I walked Jack (while looking at my phone), watched the news (while looking at my phone) and graded the last couple tests from last week (while looking at my phone). Now I was about to drive Jack to Liam's house to play with his Pomeranian Cardi. I didn't want to be doing that while looking at my phone.

I hopped in my truck with Jack, fired up the engine, put my hands on the wheels...and pulled out my phone to answer.

Me: I don't mind your atrocious texting language. I'm sure that using it soothes your collegiate heart.

Okay, now I would stop.

Except that halfway through the drive, my phone made the little dinging sound. I held strong until two minutes later, when it happened again. And then Jack turned away from me to stick his head out the window, so he couldn't judge me if I did it before he looked back in.

I grabbed my phone and glanced at it.

Finn Evans: lmaoo my collegiate heart is just fine

Finn Evans: hb this... My acquaintance, Jeremy (whom I call Jerry), and I are of the adult variety. Do you happen to have a vehicle?

Me: That hurt my eyes to read...please don't.